➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

11 fluffies moved to brooder....2 more pippers....all feet look good but one has a bulging eye. 23 hours since first hatch.
going to check on everyone else again....i peeked out the window and pheasants/partridge look to be planning to roost on top of chicken coop for tonight. they don’t seem quite as restless as the last time we put them in there.
at feeding time I did a pretty good look at all the quail and 2 were still acting a bit lethargic. of those 2, 1 had an eye peck (not sure if was done before or after the morning chaos) but will probably have to take her out tomorrow if no improvement.

rough bedtime headcount.....still approximately 50 quail in the aviary. runt (melanistic) and button are the only 2 “others” in the aviary tonight. Button has me a little concerned as he’s been going back and forth all day. (the concern is more that he could escape if flushed or just really wanted to) Im going to try to get up early again tomorrow and check on everyone (i wish i had gone out there this morning vs just checking the incubator) i bought them a new cabbage to peck at so probably try to get hubby to hang it in chicken area until we can figure out the separation this weekend. hubby has designed to separate aviary in half....probably with hardware cloth vs netting. the chicken area will remain same, the chicken end of aviary will be quail, and gate end with snowball bush will house the chukars and partridge. that design will still allow me to see my birds from the deck and will put one more gate on the inside to prevent quail escapees.

I have twelve quail, and six eggs most days. It is difficult not incubating any, but until I have a secure pen, not duct taped together, I am avoiding temptation.
As far as the six eggs, everyone is eight weeks and over, and mostly Pharaoh. I’ve only noticed one male, but it’s time to look again.

I have twelve quail, and six eggs most days. It is difficult not incubating any, but until I have a secure pen, not duct taped together, I am avoiding temptation.
As far as the six eggs, everyone is eight weeks and over, and mostly Pharaoh. I’ve only noticed one male, but it’s time to look again.

:highfive: Im deciding breeders and taking the rest of the males to the swap this wkend.

The buttons are laying again if anyone wants eggs? :oops:

Good morning all! I've been busy with family all week. I have a house full of kids, grandkids, parents, and cousins :eek:

My poor quail aren't getting any attention. I'm pretty sure I had 62 successfully hatch, two that died, so 60 left. I need to check egg shells and see what all did hatch and what quit at the last minute. Hopefully I'll get to that this weekend. Family is all leaving Friday.

I also need to start butchering the last batch. I heard a crow this morning and the darn things are getting crowded in the grow out cages. Gonna need those cages pretty quick.

296D0AE5-AA14-48FD-8893-FEF0F613E4AA.jpeg total 12 in the brooder.....I opened 1 late quitter but left other eggs in for another 24 or so hours just in case. 19 button eggs went in with them for lockdown!! candled day 8 homegrown batch.....trashed 1 clear and a couple possible quitters left in for further inspection. myshire mix set tonight. (included 2 celadon eggs so :fl) 03C4B548-62F6-400C-9BDC-A03A6CFF8135.jpeg 87C3783D-31BE-4FC7-A4EA-E4C60C2AD7FF.jpeg
My little popeye baby.....has anyone seen this type defect before??

View attachment 1871368 total 12 in the brooder.....I opened 1 late quitter but left other eggs in for another 24 or so hours just in case. 19 button eggs went in with them for lockdown!! candled day 8 homegrown batch.....trashed 1 clear and a couple possible quitters left in for further inspection. myshire mix set tonight. (included 2 celadon eggs so :fl)View attachment 1871367View attachment 1871370
My little popeye baby.....has anyone seen this type defect before??

I only saw that in my full alino but later on i read that it has a name (which i forgot.) My chick failed to thrive. If that chick makes it id like to know if it fixes could u mark it?

Back
Top Bottom