➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

@anvia I'm fond of using plastic tubs for my brooders. They are light and easy to clean. I use a heatlamp with a ceramic reptile bulb for heat. That gives them the warmth without upsetting their day/night cycle.

Here are a couple of plastic tubs that I've converted into brooders.
1122191526.jpg
1613756471484.jpeg

@anvia I'm fond of using plastic tubs for my brooders. They are light and easy to clean. I use a heatlamp with a ceramic reptile bulb for heat. That gives them the warmth without upsetting their day/night cycle.

Here are a couple of plastic tubs that I've converted into brooders.
View attachment 2536741View attachment 2536742
I use plastic bins as well, I already had several converted for hamster cages, so I use those, they range in size from 66 quart clear tote, to 50 gallon stacker tote, I start small so they can’t get lost and move them up when they’re all running around like crazy with no problems.

They look fab! Well done!
We’ve been using sand for so long I’d forgotten why we’d moved away from shavings in the brooder, we are in a lockdown right now so having to improvise. We are also under avian flu restrictions so the majority of poultry that would usually free range is on bedding and we are running very low on sand.
I’ll try to post some pictures - I’d be grateful for anyone’s thoughts on heating in our new brooder.

So these are what we’ve brooded successfully in for years.... until one of the cats worked out how to fish for chicks... the smaller the chick the more at risk it seems to be.

This is our new hopefully cat proof brooder - I can fit a heat plate in.

But it has a bulb thingy - it does hang quite low? I’m wondering if I should try using something in that as a heat source? Or is it too low / fire hazard.....

Any thoughts? I don’t have to use it... it’s simply an option I’ve never had before - is it a better choice than a bulb / heat source?

They look fab! Well done!
We’ve been using sand for so long I’d forgotten why we’d moved away from shavings in the brooder, we are in a lockdown right now so having to improvise. We are also under avian flu restrictions so the majority of poultry that would usually free range is on bedding and we are running very low on sand.
I’ll try to post some pictures - I’d be grateful for anyone’s thoughts on heating in our new brooder.
I use both a plate and light in the shed brooder, but your have to be very careful with the plates. Make sure there is plenty of room between the legs on the plate and the sides and that food and water are accessible very close to the plate at first. Quail will cram themselves in between sides and legs and die and they will wander too far out, get lost, and die. They are very creative and very dumb!

I use both a plate and light in the shed brooder, but your have to be very careful with the plates. Make sure there is plenty of room between the legs on the plate and the sides and that food and water are accessible very close to the plate at first. Quail will cram themselves in between sides and legs and die and they will wander too far out, get lost, and die. They are very creative and very dumb!
I’ve found that putting a small light next to the brooder on the side with the plate helps them find their way back if they go too far. I’ve had one wander out at night, cry in the far corner, and the rest went to that corner and piled up there shivering. If there’s a small light in the dark, they will travel toward it. If there’s no light, they get lost. if it’s outside, I would just use a heat lamp, because I’d be scared they will get lost, and if you leave a night light on, you might as well forget the plate and just use a heat light.

Back
Top Bottom