➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Also- dipped their beaks in water, but they decided to huddle under the heat lamp instead, so I don’t know if they drank any water. Should the water be closer? I had read it’s supposed to go on the cooler end.

image.jpg

Also- dipped their beaks in water, but they decided to huddle under the heat lamp instead, so I don’t know if they drank any water. Should the water be closer? I had read it’s supposed to go on the cooler end.
For the first couple of days I keep the water and feed close to the warmed up area of the brooder.

I do not dip beaks. I find that they figure it out on their own just fine.

Ok, I will move it!

Ha, as soon as I moved those five rowdy dummies (I am SO GLAD the incubator is on a low chair, because two of them jumped out immediately) two more were able to hatch, and three others are zipping.

Stuck a damp paper towel in and the humidity seems fine.

I’m leaving Wrong End for a bit longer because he’s still poking his beak out of the hole, and moving. I’ll check again at lunch and try to get a better idea of if it’s possible to get him going.

Ok, I moved our five hatches to the brooder!

View attachment 2653103
I checked on the egg that pipped on the pointed end and it’s alive, it poked its beak out when I picked it up. It still hasn’t made any progress. @FloorCandy should I pull it and try to get it out? I’ve never had to do it before so I’m worried I’ll make it worse.
I would probably help it at this point if it was from a hatch I was really excited about. A lot of the time lately I let nature take its course, but you are very invested in these. If you help it, watch out for veins, try to push back the membrane instead of just tearing at it.

Ok, I will move it!

Ha, as soon as I moved those five rowdy dummies (I am SO GLAD the incubator is on a low chair, because two of them jumped out immediately) two more were able to hatch, and three others are zipping.

Stuck a damp paper towel in and the humidity seems fine.

I’m leaving Wrong End for a bit longer because he’s still poking his beak out of the hole, and moving. I’ll check again at lunch and try to get a better idea of if it’s possible to get him going.
That one probably needs help, but it might not make it even if you do help it. About 25% of the ones I help turn out okay. The rest end up needing to be culled.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

That one probably needs help, but it might not make it even if you do help it. About 25% of the ones I help turn out okay. The rest end up needing to be culled.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Huh! It says with malpositioned chicks to wait longer, as they externally pip at the same time they internally pip & therefore need time to absorb the yolk?

”But because they didn't get to internally pip, they still have a lot of absorbing to do. Don't start to worry that they are not progressing until it's been 30 to 48 hours from the external pip. The good news is most of the time they can hatch themselves in this position, so you will likely not have to do a thing.”

It’s been 24 hours now since I noticed the external pip in the wrong part of the egg. The membrane around the hole it’s made doesn’t look great (looks papery), so I can apply coconut oil to that, or I can go full hog and just pop the air cell open and see if it’s done absorbing.

I am loathe to intervene too early, but I understand quail chicks need out of the incubator for food/water sooner than chickens and ducks right? The little guys that hatched last night are already eating.

Huh! It says with malpositioned chicks to wait longer, as they externally pip at the same time they internally pip & therefore need time to absorb the yolk?

”But because they didn't get to internally pip, they still have a lot of absorbing to do. Don't start to worry that they are not progressing until it's been 30 to 48 hours from the external pip. The good news is most of the time they can hatch themselves in this position, so you will likely not have to do a thing.”

It’s been 24 hours now since I noticed the external pip in the wrong part of the egg. The membrane around the hole it’s made doesn’t look great (looks papery), so I can apply coconut oil to that, or I can go full hog and just pop the air cell open and see if it’s done absorbing.

I am loathe to intervene too early, but I understand quail chicks need out of the incubator for food/water sooner than chickens and ducks right? The little guys that hatched last night are already eating.
Yeah. You have to decide on the timing. The longer it's stuck, the more likely you are to have crooked neck and/or curled toes, though.

Okay, I got him out- he’s totally normal. Poor guy had a wing over his head and was upside down, and completely shrink wrapped in there.

I put him in the incubator and he’s resting.
image.jpg

However, I think the REALLY BIG egg has a wry neck baby, he’s having a bad time straightening out. :(
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 4
For the poor fella whose neck is stuck turned down - poly vi sol with no iron? Does he need his own brooder?
The guy I busted out has toes that curl inward, so I guess I need to keep an eye on him too.

Edit: just kidding! I left crooked neck guy in the incubator so the others wouldn’t pick on him and he sorted himself out and is looking around. Put him in the brooder. We have ten hatched and two WIP.

Last edited:
For the poor fella whose neck is stuck turned down - poly vi sol with no iron? Does he need his own brooder?
The guy I busted out has toes that curl inward, so I guess I need to keep an eye on him too.

Edit: just kidding! I left crooked neck guy in the incubator so the others wouldn’t pick on him and he sorted himself out and is looking around. Put him in the brooder. We have ten hatched and two WIP.
The toes may straighten, I find if the toes are small and skinny they are more likely to need correction, big feet and fat toes usually straighten out. See how they look after a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom