➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

You can try putting the pad under the brooder, so if the light goes out they have ground heat at least. Last hatch I had a brand new red light burn out on its first night. Hubby got up for a conference call before the sun, and came running down to tell me to get up, a light burned out and the chicks looked really bad. I didn’t lose any, but there were a few on deaths door.
I think I may try this. Not sure what else to do. My brand new red light burned out in less than 3 hours. I got red because I heard it calms the little guys. Waste of money so far.

I think I may try this. Not sure what else to do. My brand new red light burned out in less than 3 hours. I got red because I heard it calms the little guys. Waste of money so far.
I find no difference with white and red. The one that burned out I replaced with a ceramic heat bulb that doesn’t light at all, and those chicks started trying to fly super early, and at day 7, one flew over the 20 inch high brooder side, and took a stroll down the hall. I had the chicks half and half between 2 brooders, the red light chicks didn’t show early flight tendency or desire.

Just updating... hopefully, no chicks come tonight. I don't see any pips or anything so I think I have at least one more day. My hubby said he would drive the extra miles when he goes to work to pick up a couple of heat lamp bulbs. I think one will work, but I want the extra one for a backup. The light we found is 250 watts which seems a bit much, but it is dimmable and when we made the brooder, hubby added a dimmer switch. I guess the lights I have now are just not high enough wattage to warm enough. Thank you all for your help. I have the heating pad for a backup but would rather use the lamps.

I’m using a ceramic heat emitter bulb (no light) and it fantastic, super hot even in the basement from a foot away it’s almost 100 degrees on the hot side (they seem to like it), and 85ish on the cooler side. Dunno about flying yet, but I transferred the Govee to the brooder and it’s kept a steady temp.

Here is a video of our dummies today:

That’s Wrong End sprawled in the food (don’t worry, his legs work). Hilariously they’ve only pooped once in the jam-jar-lid food bowls (I’m gonna switch them to chick feeders once I think they can’t cram themselves inside of them) but they’ve managed to poop in their waterer multiple times, which looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP6PJ2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess they have impeckable aim. ;)

I’m using a ceramic heat emitter bulb (no light) and it fantastic, super hot even in the basement from a foot away it’s almost 100 degrees on the hot side (they seem to like it), and 85ish on the cooler side. Dunno about flying yet, but I transferred the Govee to the brooder and it’s kept a steady temp.

Here is a video of our dummies today:

That’s Wrong End sprawled in the food (don’t worry, his legs work). Hilariously they’ve only pooped once in the jam-jar-lid food bowls (I’m gonna switch them to chick feeders once I think they can’t cram themselves inside of them) but they’ve managed to poop in their waterer multiple times, which looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP6PJ2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess they have impeckable aim
I don’t want be a downer, but his droopy wings are concerning. How long ago had he been hatched in the video? With a rough hatch droopy wings are kind of normal for the first day sometimes 2, but I find if a chick goes into the third day with droopy wings they often don’t make it. When the yolk is used up, they start being at an even greater deficit, and they go downhill fast.

I don’t want be a downer, but his droopy wings are concerning. How long ago had he been hatched in the video? With a rough hatch droopy wings are kind of normal for the first day sometimes 2, but I find if a chick goes into the third day with droopy wings they often don’t make it. When the yolk is used up, they start being at an even greater deficit, and they go downhill fast.
That was from this morning; I haven't noticed his wings drooping this afternoon, when he runs around he holds them up properly. I thought that looked funny too so I kept an eye on it. It had been about 24 hrs since he'd "hatched" in that video.

I can add sav-a-chick to their water if you think that would be a good idea? Or if I have to I guess I can pull him and make him a little brooder, but he hasn't been picked on that I've seen.

Just updating... hopefully, no chicks come tonight. I don't see any pips or anything so I think I have at least one more day. My hubby said he would drive the extra miles when he goes to work to pick up a couple of heat lamp bulbs. I think one will work, but I want the extra one for a backup. The light we found is 250 watts which seems a bit much, but it is dimmable and when we made the brooder, hubby added a dimmer switch. I guess the lights I have now are just not high enough wattage to warm enough. Thank you all for your help. I have the heating pad for a backup but would rather use the lamps.
I switched to the ceramic heat bulb a long time ago???? I just ordered a 2 pk from amazon and kept 1 as a backup for a long time. I finally put it in a lamp and use it and a plate in my shed brooder especially this time of year when a 250W can be too much.

I switched to the ceramic heat bulb a long time ago???? I just ordered a 2 pk from amazon and kept 1 as a backup for a long time. I finally put it in a lamp and use it and a plate in my shed brooder especially this time of year when a 250W can be too much.
I see I can get the ceramic heat bulbs on Amazon. I may go ahead and order them though they won't be here fast enough this time. I am hoping the 250W will work since I have a dimmer switch on the fixture. Hubby did the research and says the bulb he can pick up in town is dimmable. Crossing my fingers because I won't have time for a plan C. :fl

That was from this morning; I haven't noticed his wings drooping this afternoon, when he runs around he holds them up properly. I thought that looked funny too so I kept an eye on it. It had been about 24 hrs since he'd "hatched" in that video.

I can add sav-a-chick to their water if you think that would be a good idea? Or if I have to I guess I can pull him and make him a little brooder, but he hasn't been picked on that I've seen.
If he’s looking normal now I wouldn’t take him out, they do best with friends.

Back
Top Bottom