āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

The idea of that completely freaks me out. lol - I now have 3 that have pipped and all on the wrong end. Anyone have any idea why they pip the wrong end and what I might do in the future to avoid it.
Sometimes the wrong Enders will zip and hatch without issue. The ones that are really concerning tend to pop one big hole and donā€™t progress from there. If I see one that needs assistance, I complete the zip and pop the cap carefully, replace and allow the chick to push its way out.

Sometimes the wrong Enders will zip and hatch without issue. The ones that are really concerning tend to pop one big hole and donā€™t progress from there. If I see one that needs assistance, I complete the zip and pop the cap carefully, replace and allow the chick to push its way out.
Same thing that I do when they get shrink wrapped. You see one large hole and dried membrane. Pop the top and see if the membrane is shrink wrapped. If it is, pull enough off that they can get free. Sometimes it works.

Here they are, still in the messy baby brooder, ignore the poop.
View attachment 2659921
The double silver is either top center yellow, or far right messy hair yellow by the Pom Pom. I banded it so I would know.
When do you move them out of the baby brooder? I think mine is a bit larger (or maybe itā€™s just cos I have less babies), but Iā€™m wondering when I ought to move them to the 40gal tote.

editing to add, all 13 are doing great. Wrong End is still the smallest but is by far the most scrappy.

When do you move them out of the baby brooder? I think mine is a bit larger (or maybe itā€™s just cos I have less babies), but Iā€™m wondering when I ought to move them to the 40gal tote.

editing to add, all 13 are doing great. Wrong End is still the smallest but is by far the most scrappy.
I donā€™t have a lid on my indoor brooder tote, so I typically move them out at 1-2 weeks or as soon as they get too bouncy!!!!

Iā€™ll put them into a 110 qt tote which is about double the size, tomorrow. I want the ones I added this morning to have a full day on shelf liner. Tomorrow they get more space, and chips.

The idea of that completely freaks me out. lol - I now have 3 that have pipped and all on the wrong end. Anyone have any idea why they pip the wrong end and what I might do in the future to avoid it.
What type of incubator do you have? If it rolls the eggs try starting lockdown a half day or day earlier. I still get an occasional 1 or 2, but I think it seemed to help. My incubator that tilts the eggs has wrong enders much more rarely than my one that rolls them. I started lockdown on day 13 In my rolling incubator this time and I got no wrong end pips, last hatch I had only one.

So I switched the chicks to a chick feeder instead of the jam jar lids, and today I gave myself a heart attack.

I have noticed that thanks to their superior poop aim, I have to take the feeder out at the end of the day and clean it off and dump the pooped on food, so I did that and put it back in. My youngest wanders in and asked to pet one, so I go reaching for Wrong End as Iā€™ve been picking him up briefly throughout the day hoping I can get him hand tame - and I canā€™t find him!!

I panic and count the chicks- 12, heā€™s totally missing! I call in the older kid and we start searching my office thinking he jumped out (they can almost clear the sides of the damn container) but thereā€™s no sign of him.

yā€™all. I put the chick feeder on top of that idiot. Heā€™s fine, he was sitting right under the indent in the middle. But oh my goodness. We gave him a little once over and some pets (heā€™s basically the only one who tolerates it) and put him back in. Whoops.

So I switched the chicks to a chick feeder instead of the jam jar lids, and today I gave myself a heart attack.

I have noticed that thanks to their superior poop aim, I have to take the feeder out at the end of the day and clean it off and dump the pooped on food, so I did that and put it back in. My youngest wanders in and asked to pet one, so I go reaching for Wrong End as Iā€™ve been picking him up briefly throughout the day hoping I can get him hand tame - and I canā€™t find him!!

I panic and count the chicks- 12, heā€™s totally missing! I call in the older kid and we start searching my office thinking he jumped out (they can almost clear the sides of the damn container) but thereā€™s no sign of him.

yā€™all. I put the chick feeder on top of that idiot. Heā€™s fine, he was sitting right under the indent in the middle. But oh my goodness. We gave him a little once over and some pets (heā€™s basically the only one who tolerates it) and put him back in. Whoops.
I totally expected that it would end with him cheeping in the trash can because you threw him out with the food.

9064811B-F6BB-49BF-BC57-9C1F2F38ED9F.jpeg

Crowding the far side because the crazy chick-crushing lady is hovering with the phone.

Back
Top Bottom