➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I had 28 eggs go into lockdown, set to hatch today. I have 27 chicks and a late quitter double yolker. I got one more double silver, I feel the odds are against it since the other one is doing so well lol.
Just out of curiosity, why do you keep breeding the double silvers? I got out of breeding SSC because I didn't want to breed double silvers. The poor chicks just suffer.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep breeding the double silvers? I got out of breeding SSC because I didn't want to breed double silvers. The poor chicks just suffer.
I only have the snow angels doubled which is 3 birds total. I’m hoping to get some more healthy ones to have a little line I can raise for meat because they are all white meat. So far I’ve raised 3 to adults, and the one chick looks like it’ll get there, and 2 died as chicks. If their wings droop after the yolk is used up I cull them so they don’t suffer.

The silvers for my snowie line are always crossed to non silvers, so my birds for laying aren’t making doubles.

I think your front right will be a messy tux, it’ll kinda look like a red panda, many people prefer tuxes that basically just look like a white bird wearing a cape, but I think it’s a really cute look, one of the most attractive pieds. The dark one looks like it’ll have white primaries at least, I can’t see the rest of it, and the others will have pied patches on the chin/ chest area.
yep

I just locked down the k dale eggs. I had set 52, I candled last night and pulled 16 clears, 1 looked like a quitter but was really dark so I left it in. That leaves 36 going into lockdown, but I think 1 is bad. I have several of those odd shaped air cells like @Kiki had, but they all look like they’re developing fine so far, I guess I’ll find out in a few days. I think they had a really difficult journey in the usps.

I also set 42 HG today in the nr360, a few are double yolkers. They’re the snowie celadon project birds crossed to pearl boys who carry 1 copy of celadon, so I think I’ll have some better looking, more strongly snowie birds this time, but only 25% of the hens will lay blue.

Both my hatches are starting to lay at the same time. I found two eggs in the 6-week old Easter pen this morning, and 7 out of 11 from the 10-week old March hatch are finally laying. The 6-week olds are standard, and 10-week are mostly jumbo. I recall my jumbo chicks from a few years ago took longer to start laying too.

8 of my quail have hatched so far. sadly one is rather small and had unabsorbed yolk which broke and I see intestines protruding so I'll cull that one. another got stuck trying to hatch from the wrong end but finally got out, and it's head is towards it's chest so will have to see how it's doing later on. few more pips on the remaining 5 eggs.
since I sold off all my standard Coturnix and only have a few Jumbo I went and ordered 4 dozen "Jumbo/goliath" eggs which should arrive next week

I just offed three more boys...which is one week later then I offed the last three.

Zero size difference.

Next week I will off four more boys to see if two weeks later makes much of a difference.
My hatch last fall didn't gain any more weight after about 6-7 weeks. I definitely notice a difference in flavor between 8 and 12 weeks though.

Back
Top Bottom