➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I've got pheasant chicks 'hatching outta my ears'...Peach, Yellow, Red Goldens, Persain, Mongolian, Stranch, Talish, Versicolor. No brooders ready!!!! :th....maybe by midnight I'll have them ready.

Do you, by any chance, know the genetics behind the Ivory color in Ringnecks? I bought a few eggs on a whim and only one is looking good, so I'm gonna get some other ringnecks to keep it with but not sure how the color breeds.

Do you, by any chance, know the genetics behind the Ivory color in Ringnecks? I bought a few eggs on a whim and only one is looking good, so I'm gonna get some other ringnecks to keep it with but not sure how the color breeds.
I'm assuming by 'Ivory color' your referring to white “leucistic” variety, which is caused by a genetic abnormality. There are also albino ringnecked but they are far rarer. The difference can be determined by observing the colour of the eyes – leucistic birds have normal (black) albino have pink eyes.

Although, it is caused by a mutation in both cases, if breeding 2 leucistic birds, the offspring will also be leucistic...ie; white. If breeding to a regular ringnecked or a melanistic ringnecked, you'd get splashes or pied phenotype birds.

I'm assuming by 'Ivory color' your referring to white “leucistic” variety, which is caused by a genetic abnormality. There are also albino ringnecked but they are far rarer. The difference can be determined by observing the colour of the eyes – leucistic birds have normal (black) albino have pink eyes.

Although, it is caused by a mutation in both cases, if breeding 2 leucistic birds, the offspring will also be leucistic...ie; white. If breeding to a regular ringnecked or a melanistic ringnecked, you'd get splashes or pied phenotype birds.

Like the bird in the bottom photo of this post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...st-your-pics-or-questions.284251/post-3449717

That post calls it 'dilute blue'.

Like the bird in the bottom photo of this post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...st-your-pics-or-questions.284251/post-3449717

That post calls it 'dilute blue'.
Ok, I'll take a guess at it (an educated guess)...that particular bird is a dilute Abysinnian Blue Ringnecked....another mutation, you can have 'dilute colored' birds in any of the species. Those genes are most likely located on the more obscured loci of certain alles that haven't been that extensively researched.

There are dilute Common Ringnecked and Platinum Ringnecked, which are, for a better choice of words 'washed out' looking, they don't have dark, rich, iridescent feathers.

I have Abysinnian Blues but haven't had a dilute Abysinnian appear within my breeding stock. In person, they have more of what I call an opalescent sheen to their feathers but not a 'washed out' look!

Last edited:
I set all of the homegrown eggs I had last night and a shipment from Zack should arrive by Friday. I had 1 celadon egg in my group
Received my eggs yesterday and set this morning…..look at the handy little magnet included in my order!!!!
E559892E-123E-4800-8AA2-6C141220D133.jpeg

Hi everybody,
I am getting into breeding quail and I need a hand when it comes to lockdown for the eggs. If anyone has any tips or ticks they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Quail Kingdom:)

Back
Top Bottom