➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

he just sent me a variety.....I’ve been planning to hatch some of their eggs for over a year now but just procrastinated ordering. he sent some possible sparklies and a few possible black i think?? they should arrive tomorrow???
forgot tomorrow is holiday :he they’re currently in Cincinnati so probably arrive Tuesday

Here are some pics of the snowie x celadon chicks. These chicks all carry celadon, the 2 red ones are full celadon from the sex links that hatched a day before, but they’re screamers and the snowie brooder is further from the bedrooms haha.

3F5A9BB4-9533-4A59-8E5E-14B9FBD3F2A9.jpeg

Asleep in the food
3E6C8917-4B42-44B3-8195-63CEE27EBD4E.jpeg

The snowies are way bigger than the sex links. You can see the 2 scarlets snuggling in, and they were hatched one day earlier. Unfortunately when I open the top to fill the food and water, they scatter, and then they’re cold because I take the light off to open the lid, so my adorable pics of chicks all sprawled out becomes a mass of bird parts. When they were relaxing the size difference looks crazy. Half of these were fathered by my huge male Tiger Millionaire.
F77F673C-C7F3-436F-A8B7-77B551380B25.jpeg

I sold all the males from the sex links, and some pearls And the falb fees to the reptile guy. I’m hoping to have at least 5 snowie hens as keepers, I’ll weed out the ones I don’t want little by little.

I have maybe 3 I’ll keep from the previous small hatch of snowie x celadon depending on gender, a few from these, and my nr360 is packed with more. I’ve decided to sell the hens in my main pen, I’ll keep 2-4 of my scarlet tuxes. I’ll sell the original snowies, keeping the one golden pansy hen, and one that is some weird snowie with one copy of fee that has some crazy yellowy areas bleeding thru. I call her calico (not the calico gene, just kind of looks like a blotchy calico cat pattern) because if my mom or my husband asks “which one” they immediately know what I mean when I say the calico one. I have 2 manchurian and one laced looking Italian, all silver and I have to choose which to keep. I’d really like to keep a manchurian and the laced looking Italian, but space for 2 boys with no celadon genes is a bit hard to come by. Once the main pen is empty, I’ll be filling it with the sex link hens I just hatched in hopes of a nice payoff selling them in March when they’re grown.

Also I have plans for a small breeder pen for my side project which I call “purple rain”. It’s an interesting concept for a pen, and it will be my first raised wire bottom cage.

Lost of plans! Spring is looming!

I sold all the males from the sex links

How'd you make the sex links?

I think my Tibetan male that I sent to freezer camp because he was mega aggressive was carrying Roux. Some of the chicks I hatched from him and the Tibetan Celadon hen appear to be Range. That would make those female, and mean that the dad was carrying one copy of Roux. So that'll be cool, more color variety for my Celadon pen.

I think my Tibetan male that I sent to freezer camp because he was mega aggressive was carrying Roux. Some of the chicks I hatched from him and the Tibetan Celadon hen appear to be Range. That would make those female, and mean that the dad was carrying one copy of Roux. So that'll be cool, more color variety for my Celadon pen.
I have 1 scarlet roo and 1 Egyptian roo over 10 Tibetan tux hens. They’ve been making me some nice scarlet hens for a while now. I’m keeping 4 of the older ones because they’re so smoothly colored, I cant bear to sell them haha.

I have 1 scarlet roo and 1 Egyptian roo over 10 Tibetan tux hens. They’ve been making me some nice scarlet hens for a while now. I’m keeping 4 of the older ones because they’re so smoothly colored, I cant bear to sell them haha.

There's so many fun ways to do sex links with Roux, haha. I've been thinking about making an Autumn Amber sexlink pen. Females hatching Autumn Amber, males hatching Italian.

Once you’re used to the fine details of the birds, you can see the difference in some of the males from the sex links. They have a very red sheen to their overall look. Not all of them, but you can weed out some really attractive males if you don’t mind letting a handful grow a bit before you get rid of them. I guess it’s the way range is incompletely dominant over the wild, and some Egyptian highlights bleed thru. It’s like super rosy Rosetta

Mid of day 17 and the first 5 babies hatched 😍

View attachment 2495799
I wanted to just share that I took the free hatch pad they sent with my brinsea, and I traced it onto shelf liner, cut it out, and I did not even cut holes for the water troughs just lay it right over, and it works perfectly, and I can wash and reuse it. I put paper towel under it to catch egg shell pieces and gross stuff.

Back
Top Bottom