āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Anybody of good pics of a multi-pen quail setup? I'm thinking of putting the quail in a shaded spot this summer next to our sun room where there's just an large floor bed surrounded by retaining blocks. It's generally out of sight as it's on the opposite site of the sun room than our patio. I try to keep my generations separated though, so one big pen wouldn't do. I was thinking of building a divided pen with three sections. It would be low height (up to the sunroom's window ledge which is ~1.5') and right on the ground so they can be on dirt and forage. They whole thing would be roughly 12' long and 2.5' wide (as deep as I can reach probably), so I could have three 4'x2.5' sections. I would need to have top access, which I fear makes escaping easier but I'm sure I could work with it.

Anybody ever see anything like this? Looking for some inspiration.
I'm not handy, so I don't make coops. I do have a couple of these, though. They're 20 square feet each and are sturdy enough to be predator proof.

View attachment 2009062

This is my 8'x2' coop. I can put divider walls in it, or make another, to have 4 - 2'x2' sections with 4 doors. If no floor, can put this on the ground and hinge the lids so you don't have to lay on your belly to see into.

1.5' tall sounds concerning for access. You sure you want it that short?
Separate lids. I have a 5'x5' chicken tractor that is 2' tall and while I was grabbing one quail on the left, one on the right would go airborne. Too much door for quail. I have plans to drape it to prevent fly aways. Next time.

Is this spot covered or how will you protect from rain, mud and predators?

I don't want it taller than the window ledges. Access would be from top and what's the difference if it's 1.5', 3' or 8" if the eggs are on the ground no matter what.

As for the flight risk when opening the lid, that's a valid point. Ideally I will not remove the entire roof of a pen at once to connect eggs. Perhaps two seperate opens in the roof centered side to side with one positioned toward the front and one toward the back. The roof is really the thickest part because I want to be able to connect eggs and birds easily while minimizing escapes.

As for cover, there's at least a 12" eave on the sun room and then a maple tree has limbs overhead. I will use a solid material for the pen roof to protect from rain. The sides will be 1/2" hardware cloth to protect from ground predators (primarily possums or hawks who have landed on the ground).

I prefer to work on my other hobbies during the winter months! ;) Return to my native roots. :D Pipes, flutes, rattles, etc...
20200123_134347.jpg

Back
Top Bottom