āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Roux is a dilute gene. Fee dilute is its own gene, and the gene itself is called Fee. They aren't related, and they're separate, so Roux doesn't cause Fee, and Fee doesn't cause Roux.

Fee is incompletely dominant so, like in that picture I posted of my two males, if a bird has even one copy, you can tell. I suppose it's possible that the Roux parents are also Fee. I'd have thought they'd be less red, though.

Here's some further reading on both Fee and Roux:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ian-coturnix-quail-discussion-thread.1331206/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/japanese-coturnix-falb-fee-discussion-thread.1331646/

I'm also wondering if the ones you're calling Roux are maybe not the same as what I'd call Egyptian - to me, a wild type bird with just Roux is Egyptian, which is this (borrowing a picture from Myshire):

Egyptian-male.jpg

Yours look a lot lighter, like they also have something else going on. Maybe they do have Fee which is why they're lighter. Would make sense, since if they're Fee, then instead of getting all Pharoah offspring, I'd expect you'd get all Falb Fee...which is what you got.

If you don't mind me borrowing the picture of your birds, I'll ask some quail genetics people what color they think they are.

Of course you can borrow the pics ...

... I bought the hatching eggs as "Roux Dilute".
I definately agree with you, that these have two factors. Roux is sex linked recessive and documentated. I didn't expected any Roux from that hatch. I just was expecting a dilution of the Pharaohs, but in another way as Fee ... but you see the result.

Shizzle. @Pyxis I lost my place in this thread.
I'm going to try and catch up over the next couple of days and I want to respond to your genetics stuff but I don't understand the genetic stuff yet.
I have notes on what Zack's birds produce that I want to share with you once I find them.

Here are some of my Pansy fees.
IMG_20200811_201206.jpg
IMG_20200811_201150.jpg
IMG_20200811_201126.jpg
IMG_20200811_190735.jpg

Do you have calibrated thermometers and salt-tested humidity gauge?
I dropped the temperature calibration on the incubator and both thermometers I have agree that it's 99.5. I have no way to calibrate any better than that. They both have hygrometers that read 35%. I was mostly referring to the fact that I'm going to be more careful about seating the lid properly after lockdown this time.

Also, I found two more and they fit, so I'm up to 22. It's quite the egg hunt in the bigger house.

Back
Top Bottom