➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

@Nabiki hmm good to know, I tried the 'foam' method but nobody produced anything somehow. So I guess we'll need to wait and see. There's been no crowing either. I simply guessed that goose and tiny may be male as they were the two who attacked the duckling I was looking after almost immediately after putting it down, but I'm not experienced as we know so maybe hens are aggressive too??
Can you get clear pictures of each one?

IMG_20200813_174656.jpg
IMG_20200813_174642.jpg
IMG_20200813_174640.jpg
IMG_20200813_174637.jpg

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to get into the bottom set if the door hinged on the bottom instead of the top?

Can't hinge it on the bottom - nothing to hinge it to. Those are roll-out egg trays, so the wire extends beyond the door and there's nothing solid under the door that you could attach it to.

But yeah, it probably would be easier, lol! I'll just bend over, though. Once it's all the way done, which means getting the auto waterer system installed and installing the feeders which will sit mostly outside the cage, I'll only ever need to get in there if I need to move birds.

I made a mistake :(

When I was working on the quail pen I had popped into the garage and found a loose quail. I didn't even really look at it, I just assumed it was one of the males, because the top on their pen isn't super secure and sometimes they get out. So into the male pen it went.

I was just out there and noticed that my juvenile hen pen was wide open somehow, like the door opened on its own. Most of them stayed in - one was missing.

So I tossed a single hen into a pen of all males. Yeah, they tore her head open :( I cleaned her up and put some Neosporin on her but it's a nasty wound and I feel terrible.

Back
Top Bottom