• Pheasant Eggs

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Duck Eggs

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other (please tell us below)

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Pics
so yesterday one of my broody ducks eggs had a pip. I was excited. I left for a couple of hours and amongst other things (dead ducklings, wind damage to things, etc) she had kicked that egg out and tossed it into her water dish. :( I’m just hoping that it was dead already and she rejected it because really... gah! So her second egg is pipped this morning, she seems to be leaving that one alone and it’s peeping, so hopefully I’ll come home to a live ducklings and not a floating half hatched one. :(
Also. The broody disease has struck my silkie pullet! Haha. She was sitting in the nest box “brooding” my 2 little 6 week old chicks and when I took her out she puffed up and melted into a broody puddle, growling at me. I lost my other cockerel so no fertile eggs for her... thinking of offering her a couple of the not-quite 2 week old chicks and see if she wants to mommy them. xD they’re all bantams so size wise I think she can handle them. I’m hesitant to give her shipped eggs to try to hatch in case she decides to abandon her cause...

First baby! Ayam Cemani, cheering its sibling on.

Attachments

• 20200908_145726.jpg
    20200908_145726.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7
Ok the little chick surprised me and hatched in the hour I was at the barn! It’s spending the night in the incubator but when I checked it out and the egg shell I noticed there seems to be something around it’s legs inhibiting it’s movement. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I tried to get pictures but I didn’t want to mess with it too much. I also included a picture of the shell, is this what the normal shell looks like or is there some yolk left behind? It hatched on Day20, technically before the full Day 20 so like 19 3/4. I think it’s a full Salmon Favorelle and not a cross but I won’t be totally sure until it gets more feathers in. It’s cheeping a lot and I hear it moving a lot in the incubator so I’m hoping it’s ok.
@Star2014
Oh no! That stringy bit is supposed to be on the inside!! (I think it's the intestines.) I've heard of people untangling it from legs but I think it has to be done fairly early to be sucked in. How is the chick doing now? If its still alive make a post on the emergencies thread on what to do

So... the eggs under my broody are due to hatch today....

The problem with broodys are that you dont know whats going on....... this is driving me nuts!

Wish there was a way they could just tell you...... "loook mate! there are 3 pipped and one just popped out of its shell .... so piss off and come back tomorrow" 😲 :lol:

so Im guessing thats not going to happen so I'll just keep peering into the end of the cage and hope I can see something....

:barnie:pop:pop

@Star2014
Oh no! That stringy bit is supposed to be on the inside!! (I think it's the intestines.) I've heard of people untangling it from legs but I think it has to be done fairly early to be sucked in. How is the chick doing now? If its still alive make a post on the emergencies thread on what to do
Oh ok. So it is still alive and acting like a normal chick, eating and drinking and cheeping, but we did snip it- not where the blood part was- so if it was intestines then I'm not optimistic. I looked it up and the only article I could find indicated that it was the umbilical cord and if it wasn't the section that had blood it was ok to remove it there. It wasn't out of its body this morning.

Worst chicken mom award goes to me. I was cleaning out the hatching box yesterday and decided to give up on the eggs from 8/15. Threw them away and then a couple hours later walked by the trash can and realized one said 8/18 not 15 so I put it back in the incubator. Long story short I found this today. Welcome to the world you poor little trash chicky!

Attachments

• 55042.jpeg
    55042.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 6
Oh ok. So it is still alive and acting like a normal chick, eating and drinking and cheeping, but we did snip it- not where the blood part was- so if it was intestines then I'm not optimistic. I looked it up and the only article I could find indicated that it was the umbilical cord and if it wasn't the section that had blood it was ok to remove it there. It wasn't out of its body this morning.
Phew! Glad to hear that. You are probably right about being umbilical, haven't seen anyone with the issue in ages and makes more sense then intestines

Back
Top Bottom