1 week old gasping and lethargic

Kidwantschickens

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
Montana
Hey! Looking for tips. Hoping it isn't aspergillus. Baby chick is just over a week old I think, maybe 2?. She presented pretty I'll a few days ago. Tuesday night I thought she had an impacted crop so I gave her some oil and massages it a bit and then gave a bunch of water, then water mixed with a bit of electrolytes, corn syrup and egg yolk. I let her sleep in my bed on a paper towel and woke up a few times to feed her. She seemed perkier in the morning and so we made her her own space away from the other chicks, and went to work/school. Came home and she was the same. So I gave her more yolk, water and corn syrup. Slept with her again, etc.

She seems the same. No worse but not much better. She's better in that she will walk some but she's still breathing heavy and using wings to stabilize occasionally. The kids said she eats on her own, I haven't seen that. She sure poops a lot, mostly firm with a little liquid poop....

Is there anything else I can do for her or just support her until she either dies or gets better?? The kiddo is devastated:(

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_232605765.jpg
    PXL_20230504_232605765.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230503_130847579.jpg
    PXL_20230503_130847579.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 2
You really are doing all you can as far as I can tell. Your chick may be a failure-to-thrive chick (FTT). These chicks often have underdeveloped organs and do not metabolize calories properly. They are falling behind in size by age one week, and sometimes develop other health challenges such as constipation.

The chick is likely struggling to get enough oxygen with a less than fully developed respiratory system rather than having an infection. Even healthy chicks breathe heavily and rapidly so try not to worry about that part.

Keep the chick warm and fed with frequent feedings as you've been doing. If love can pull this little one through, it's obvious you have that angle more than covered.

You really are doing all you can as far as I can tell. Your chick may be a failure-to-thrive chick (FTT). These chicks often have underdeveloped organs and do not metabolize calories properly. They are falling behind in size by age one week, and sometimes develop other health challenges such as constipation.

The chick is likely struggling to get enough oxygen with a less than fully developed respiratory system rather than having an infection. Even healthy chicks breathe heavily and rapidly so try not to worry about that part.

Keep the chick warm and fed with frequent feedings as you've been doing. If love can pull this little one through, it's obvious you have that angle more than covered.
Thank you! We'll just keep doing what we're doing until she's better or not. I think if my daughter weren't so attached I'd cull. The chick doesn't have much strength and will spend today sleeping on a paper towel in my bra (thank God for a big shelf).

She's peeping stronger and she will walk quickly to get near me and cuddle, but otherwise still pretty lethargic. She needs to start PT to go with her nutritional therapy 😂🤣 for the love of chickens! Gah

Thank you! We'll just keep doing what we're doing until she's better or not. I think if my daughter weren't so attached I'd cull. The chick doesn't have much strength and will spend today sleeping on a paper towel in my bra (thank God for a big shelf).

She's peeping stronger and she will walk quickly to get near me and cuddle, but otherwise still pretty lethargic. She needs to start PT to go with her nutritional therapy 😂🤣 for the love of chickens! Gah
Oh man, someone must be cutting onions over here. I do hope your chickie pulls through ❤️

She IS eating and drinking on her own! Not a ton but I had to put her in with the other chicks for a bit and she went right to the food then right to the water. However, they pushed her around and she had some troubles. Then she laid down again like it wore her out. She's back in my lap while I work from home today. So I set her on my desk every now and again and let her peck at her food.... She's still weak but she's so much better than she was 2-3 days ago ....

I was joking about PT before however now ......

By some miracle, Diamond has officially been returned to the other 4 chicks! She is smaller and weaker and we'll watch her for signs of stress but she's no longer falling or unable to stand, no longer breathing heavy, and she woke up last night and walked around under the covers (and pooped in my bed). Due to sheer exhaustion from a 9 mile hike yesterday I did not wake up right away. So I kicked her out!

(She was in her own box by Hersey quite a bit Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I was worried I'd come back to her dead. I'm also wondering bof sawdust wasn't the issue. In her own box she was on paper towels. We'll see how she is after school tonight!)

Back
Top Bottom