10 days till chicks come! what should I have on hand?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I know food, water, bedding, cage etc. I am getting some nutridrench but should I get some save a chick too or is that the same thing? Anything else to have on hand to be sure they are good and I don't have to search for it if I problem comes up?

I know food, water, bedding, cage etc. I am getting some nutridrench but should I get some save a chick too or is that the same thing? Anything else to have on hand to be sure they are good and I don't have to search for it if I problem comes up?
Save a chick is what I use. I add it to warm water so they get warm bellies, & a boost of energy. Save a chick is like Gatorade for chickens.

It is some of what divided on what works better, but from what I’ve picked up on from all the sick chick threads I’ve read is that Save-a-chick works better. I personally have never used either, I just put electrolytes in their water. Not that I’m recommending that as I have never ordered chicks. Best of luck, and I hope everything goes well :)

I would have some Corid. It is one of those "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" items.
The save a chick is electrolytes, not the same thing as Nutri-drench. Both are good to have.
What heat source are you using? Brooder plates consume less energy, more closely simulate natural brooding and are safer than a heat lamp.
What does your brooder setup look like? You want lots of space and fresh air.
Is your coop build underway? They grow super fast and will need to be outside at 6 weeks old.
I would also recommend you make a baby bottle:
1617021426915.png

I got the sports bottle with the flip top at a thrift store for 50 cents and bought a pack of vertical nipples from TSC. Install one in the bottom and make sure it isn't leaking, hang it off a chain that can be raised up as the chicks grow. It keeps the bedding dry and the water clean.

Last edited:
I would have some Corid. It is one of those "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" items.
The save a chick is electrolytes, not the same thing as Nutri-drench. Both are good to have.
What heat source are you using? Brooder plated consume less energy, more closely simulate natural brooding and are safer than a heat lamp.
Is your coop build underway? They grow super fast and will need to be outside at 6 weeks old.
Save a chick is both Vitamins, & Electrolytes.

Yes corid is good to have on hand once they reach 3 weeks of age, since that's when Coccidiosis usually effects chicks.

What heat source are you using? Brooder plated consume less energy, more closely simulate natural brooding and are safer than a heat lamp.
I would also recommend you make a baby bottle:
View attachment 2590055
I got the sports bottle with the flip top at a thrift store for 50 cents and bought a pack of vertical nipples from TSC. Install one in the bottom and make sure it isn't leaking, hang it off a chain that can be raised up as the chicks grow. It keeps the bedding dry and the water clean.
I have a MHP for a heat source. a x-large dog crate with 1/2" hardware cloth around it and cardboard around the bottom to contain the mess. I got a nipple waterer for them. Spot for coop and run is just about cleared and wood ordered that will be here the day after chicks so will start building that the 10th. It will be an 8x8 coop with an 8x10 covered run and then an 8x5 or 6 that will just have hardware cloth over the top for a cover.

so I will be sure to have corid and sav-a-chic as well. I saw that sav-a-chic has an electrolyte one and a probiotic one do I need both or one or the other? if so which one?

also I am getting 10 chicks. How much food should I get to start? I don't want to have a ton on hand but also don't want to have to run to the store non stop and buy more. LOL

One big bag of chick starter will last you a good while, depending on the breed. You'll have to decide whether to go unmedicated or medicated (FWIW, my preference is unmedicated but with Corid on hand).

I'd also grab a bag of chick grit. Even if you don't give treats early on, some babies get a little too excited about tasting (or eating) bedding. It makes me feel better to have grit available to them.

x2 to everything @DobieLover says. I LOVE my brooder plate, and the MHP should provide a similarly good experience for you and the biddies.

Be sure to train them on the nipple waterer to make sure they're getting enough water in the beginning. Some chicks figure out the nipples faster than others. You may want a water tray available as backup for the first few days. Make sure it's shallow and maybe has clean pebbles in it so nobody drowns those first few days.

I personally only add electrolytes the first day or 2. Then fresh water does the trick.

Props to you for asking these questions well in advance of bringing home the babies, and for planning your coop out. You're a good chicken parent already. What breeds are you getting?

One big bag of chick starter will last you a good while, depending on the breed. You'll have to decide whether to go unmedicated or medicated (FWIW, my preference is unmedicated but with Corid on hand).

I'd also grab a bag of chick grit. Even if you don't give treats early on, some babies get a little too excited about tasting (or eating) bedding. It makes me feel better to have grit available to them.

x2 to everything @DobieLover says. I LOVE my brooder plate, and the MHP should provide a similarly good experience for you and the biddies.

Be sure to train them on the nipple waterer to make sure they're getting enough water in the beginning. Some chicks figure out the nipples faster than others. You may want a water tray available as backup for the first few days. Make sure it's shallow and maybe has clean pebbles in it so nobody drowns those first few days.

I personally only add electrolytes the first day or 2. Then fresh water does the trick.

Props to you for asking these questions well in advance of bringing home the babies, and for planning your coop out. You're a good chicken parent already. What breeds are you getting?
Thanks. My husband mentioned getting them last Aug so I started my research shortly after to see what they would need. Was looking at tiny coops and thought they looked awful small (we were only going to get 4, then went to 8 then I added 2 more all before even getting them. haahaa) so did more research and found the right size we needed. Started asking here about the coop and was going to do a 4x8 (when we had ordered 8 chicks) and was told to go up to 8x8 JIC and then decided I wanted EE too so added those to my order as well so good thing I had already decided to go bigger. :)

I had thought about getting one of the little water dishes at first too. I want to use the nipple waterer once they are bigger so figured why not start them young so I don't have to reteach them. so may get the water dish to have on hand to start with as well JIC some are slower to figure it out.

We are getting EE, buff brahma, light brahma, silver spangled hamburg, blue cochin, silver laced cochin and salmon faverolle.

Oh and I do have chick grit on my list to get and have on hand. :)

You can get both the Nutri-Drench and the Sav-a-chick (both or either) though I think Nutri-Drench is pretty handy to have around to give a quick boost to any birds that need it for any reason. Though if you live in a hot climate, the electrolytes may be useful during the hottest spikes in weather to help birds through heat stress.
I had thought about getting one of the little water dishes at first too. I want to use the nipple waterer once they are bigger so figured why not start them young so I don't have to reteach them. so may get the water dish to have on hand to start with as well JIC some are slower to figure it out.
Actually they should pick it up real fast so don't worry about difficulty in "training" birds to a nipple even if they start with a dish/gravity waterer. I use my chick gravity waterer for sick birds or broodies in breaker, for example, but once they're back with the flock it's back to the nipple waterer.

Back
Top Bottom