10hr old chick with weird skin

charleyk3596

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2020
I just hatched a baby chick that is a barñyard mix and it seems to have this weird skin/fur issue along with some bald spots, any suggestions?
Snapchat-1699794181.jpg
Snapchat-871857716.jpg
Snapchat-996613149.jpg

Pretty good, I pulled it out of the brooder box and carried it in my backwards hoodie with a towel for warm and rest, I just put it back once it seemed to have it's strength built up some. Someone told me it's just underdeveloped follicles and it'll be okay in a few days
So glad to hear your little one is feeling good and is getting stronger! And I'm so glad to hear the underdeveloped follicles will develop to normal in some days, that's awesome news! I have never seen or heard about it. Good to know a baby can fully recover from that condition. Best wishes for your little sweetie ❤️

I just had three chicks last week hatch that look this way. They were all mosaic mixes with black skin. They looked almost identical! One was more bald than the others, the one pictured here.
IMG_20211118_204135_01.jpg

This little one didn't make it but the other two are okay.
I'm curious if underdeveloped follicles are connected to black skin or Fibromelanistic genes. I've never seen this before!
I'm glad yours seemed to be doing better. Did your chick grow up to have normal feathers?
What breed is yours?

Back
Top Bottom