17 Years Ago

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
17 Years ago, I was in Spokane Washington, stationed at Fairchild AFB. 17 Years ago, I had only been stationed at Fairchild for 11 days, I was a new arrival to the base. 17 Years ago I was a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force. 17 Years ago, I learned what it felt like for my country to be attacked.

I thought I'd start a thread for those of you to share your thoughts, or feelings, regarding 9/11.

Being a veteran I usually think about that day, especially on the anniversary. I didn't know anybody who was killed, but I know how it effected me. I had just transferred from Hanscom AFB Massachusetts. Hanscom is a slow base, we don't have aircraft, we don't have an active mission. Fairchild is a refueling base... its a very active base, and that day I learned what the 'real' Air Force was like. I learned about being deployment ready. I was on my own, stressed out and a little scared, and I literally didn't know anybody out there.

Anybody else want to share?

17 years ago we were in upstate NY at a friend's house preparing to take a train trip to Canada. His son came running over and said turn on the TV - the Twin Towers have been attacked. We spent the day watching television and shedding tears of commiseration and anger. Needless to say our trip was canceled. On our way home for reasons of contemplation we stayed off of major highways. So many of the rural homes that we passed were flying our flag - uplifting. That day will never be forgotten.

17 years ago my father & I were in a grocery store and I thought I heard someone say a tower came down- didn't know why or where. But as soon as we got home put on the TV and saw the unspeakable horror - burning buildings, people jumping out or falling out of the highest stories. People on fire. Just numb. Then a second tower came down.

Everywhere American flags were flying, we still have two in our front windows. People had them on their cars as well. When I walked, I would rescue any on the ground because " our flag should never touch the ground." I'd find a place high and dry for them.

If the horror wasn't enough the TV stations showed the same scenes over and over and over again. Did the news casters think we would ever forget what we saw the first time?

17 years ago my father & I were in a grocery store and I thought I heard someone say a tower came down- didn't know why or where. But as soon as we got home put on the TV and saw the unspeakable horror - burning buildings, people jumping out or falling out of the highest stories. People on fire. Just numb. Then a second tower came down.

Everywhere American flags were flying, we still have two in our front windows. People had them on their cars as well. When I walked, I would rescue any on the ground because " our flag should never touch the ground." I'd find a place high and dry for them.

If the horror wasn't enough the TV stations showed the same scenes over and over and over again. Did the news casters think we would ever forget what we saw the first time?

For some, they didn't see it the first time. I didn't get to see much of the footage until I'd gotten home that day, at 11pm. I'd gone into work for 0600 Pacific Time, and hadn't gotten out until VERY late. The only bit of news I'd seen was watching the second plane hit. I remember watching the news, the clips, in sick, horrified and sobbing fascination.

Back
Top Bottom