18 weeks wheezing

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
My chickens are 18 weeks sounds like it’s wheezing and honking. It looks like it’s sneezing at times. I’ve separated it from the others in a cage. Please advise what to look for and possible steps to treat or should we cull? I have 11 other chickens 18-20 weeks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 4
Could you possibly get a video? It would help tell what's going on better.
How long has this been going on?
Does she have any bubblies in her eyes? Any swelling of the face? Runny nose?
Are any other of your chickens exhibiting similar symptoms at all?

My chickens are 18 weeks sounds like it’s wheezing and honking. It looks like it’s sneezing at times. I’ve separated it from the others in a cage. Please advise what to look for and possible steps to treat or should we cull? I have 11 other chickens 18-20 weeks
Please get a video of her.

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her eyes and inside of the beak can be helpful as well.

What does her crop feel like?
What are you feeding?

Treat or Cull? Do you know she has a contagious respiratory disease? Even if she does, she's been with all the others, they are exposed.

Do you notice bubbles in the eyes, mucous, facial swelling, coughing, wheezing?

Have you closed up your coop for winter (poor ventilation), added new bedding, changed feed, added new birds to your flock, any changes at all?

For now, I'd see that she's eating/drinking well, look to see if her nostrils are clogged up. If she's active, acting relatively normal, etc. then I'd let her be with her flock.

Your other thread can be found here, you may get more responses there, so I suggest that you check both. I realize it's upsetting when a chicken is not well, but it's best to have only one thread so recommendations/suggestions are not repeated and you have all responses in one place.
Patience is appreciated as your fellow members work through the threads offering comments/suggestions, etc. Not everyone is on all the time, so it may be while before you get responses.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tools-honking-sneezing.1603175/#post-27283173

I posted a little while ago but haven’t been able to get a response. None of the vets near me are open, the emergency vets don’t see chickens. We caught the chicken bare handed and isolated it, we washed hands with soap in the hose and then went trick or treating while I called vets within 2 hours of us. No one Can see the chicken and I’m concerned about contagions. I cannot figure out how to share a video here so that you can hear. Since going in the crate an hour ago fluffy seems to have defecated several times its loose and watery. We just changed from crumbles to laying pellets two days ago. I refilled their water today and rinsed it but have not washed it with soap recently. We use the deep litter method in the coop and they free range 3 days a week and in the afternoons along with their time in the run while we are at work. I need to know what steps to take. Reading online says wash all the clothes in hot water, wear gloves and masks when handling the sock chicken, etc. I want to help my chicken but I also want to protect my family and the rest of the flock. I really need some advice as soon as possible. Thank you for anything you can share.

Thank you, I have fluffy isolated. I’ve reached out to vets and my local ag department and even contacted the state vet for advice when I couldn’t get in touch with a local avian vet. The sneezing had stopped by nightfall but there was still a raspiness to the breathing, by morning it was making normal noises but sounded hoarse. I have fluffy on vet except and probiotics. The eyes are clear, no discharge or swelling in the face. Eating and drinking. I shared videos with my ag department and they postulated my hen my be a rooster learning to crow. I’m still trying to figure out how to upload videos to YouTube but will post as soon as I figure it out. Thank you for your in depth response I truly appreciate your time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom