1972 mile eggs Georgia to Mass **FINAL update**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I must say your wife is a very lucky person. I couldn't get my DH
somad.gif
to drive with me 4 hours to get silkies eggs.
thumbsup.gif
To you for doing that for her. You are a very good man. Do you have a brother????
lau.gif

Couldn't really tell whether the two unknown's are from Dusty or Smokey
idunno.gif

they look to be about the same size as smokey but we had 5 from her and only three labeled Dusty, if I had to guess I would say Dusty but really not sure.
Don't be too hard on the girls, I think if I were them and saw suede coming at me I would head the other way too.
lau.gif

sorry ginbart no brothers, if you want I can call my mom and see if she would mind, but I think that after raising me she gave up relations with my dad
gig.gif
hide.gif

Quote:
well it is about time! hehehe

congrats on the great development so far.
fl.gif
You are gonna have some beautiful babies.

Be nice to Dusty, she just did her good broody thing and kicked the kids to the curb...she may not be ready for the affection of the suedenator just yet.

jthayerkatz I had 4 from Smoky, 1 was not fertile...1 died in lockdown and I have 2 gorgeous babies from her and Suede....you will not be disappointed.

splash baby:

7630_mysplashbaby.jpg

Suedenator wannabe:

7630_bbs.jpg

Just to remind you how danged cute they are.

Day 11 update.
Cyn I heard what you said about not candling again until day 15 or so but in the interest of advanced knoledge I am compelled to keep candling. I have only been doing this a short time and want too learn as much as possible what I should be seeing at every different stage. So I do respect your opinion and maybe for future hatches I will be able to leave them alone, but I am quite curious and want to expand my knowledge.
The Deleware eggs all heve definate movement and continued development 23 out of 27, The BBS Orp eggs all four still developing and moving nicely.
I went back and checked the PA eggs and found that 7 out of the 24 were not developing and opened hem to find that they were not fertile, and the #3 egg had quit. the embryo had developed to about day 5 but was dead. There did not appear to be any defomity or obvious reason for the demise. so we are down to 16 of 24 on the shipped eggs.
14427_pa_3_day_10_002.jpg

14427_pa_3_day_10_004.jpg

Jim, I know what you mean about learning from this. Once, we checked fertility on a RIR hen way back when I had my BR rooster, Hawkeye. I'd never seen him mate her and she was the bossy head hen whose eggs had previously not been fertile. We incubated the egg to Day Four and carefully cracked it into a bowl. The veins were there, but what really was amazing was the teeny heart was beating, smaller than the head of a pin. It beat for literally hours before it slowed down and stopped. It was alternately fascinating and sad that we stopped the development, but gave us a renewed appreciation for the miracle of life in an egg.

OMG someone sit on this man's hands! Do not make come use this
paddleradials.jpg

I am glad they are developing so well...now stop messing with em. Bad man bad bad bad.

http://www.shilala.com/candling.html

from The Easy Chicken for beginners
How do I candle eggs? I Shine a bright light through the egg. Candling is not a specific art.

It is more of a comparison, meaning all the eggs of the same age should look the same. It is something best learned by doing it, and really is just as simple as you make it. You cannot hurt eggs by candling them (short of dropping them). They can be out of the incubator for a half-hour without any harm. Candle every day if you like, after day 3 you should see something. At about 8 days, you can see the peep wiggling and kicking in his egg. We once saw a peeps' heart beating while candling! end quote

it's all for the greater good
big_smile.png

besides the wife has one of these on the bator, and she's serious:
34755_eggsshotmain.gif

jthayerkatz posted under the wife's screen name by accident

Last edited:
it's the need to know.
we had one quitter in the shipped eggs from PA. if it had sat in the bator it would have started to grow bacteria and stink
sickbyc.gif

and possibly harmed the good eggs
hit.gif

I won't hurt them, I promise
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom