2.5 week old chick unable to walk properly

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

One of my chicks who was hatched exactly 2 and a half weeks ago seems to be limping when walking.
I don't know whats wrong with it, however he/she seems to be always laying whilst the others are walking and playing normally.
Below is some videos and photos.
Would you anyone know what may be wrong here?

20201229_181321.jpg
20201229_181349.jpg
20201229_181351.jpg
20201229_181403.jpg
20201229_181407.jpg
20201229_181416.jpg

I would recommend starting some vitamin B2 riboflavin which is in some poultry vitamins, 3 drops of liquid baby vitamins (polyvisol without iron, and in human B complex tablets 1/4 tablet crushed into a spoonful of water daily (not B12, but B complex.) Make sure the chick is on a non-slip area. It could be a slipped tendon, or something else. Does only the left leg splay out? If it is splaying both legs out, perhaps try a leg hobble. Feed the chick some wet feed or crumbles often, since it will wear out soon if it is not getting nutrition. I would try to lift the chick and do some physical therapy while you are feeding and working with it. Sometimes leg issues may require putting the chicks down if they can’t get around. Here is a good link showing leg hobbles for splay leg:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

Hi All,

One of my chicks who was hatched exactly 2 and a half weeks ago seems to be limping when walking.
I don't know whats wrong with it, however he/she seems to be always laying whilst the others are walking and playing normally.
Below is some videos and photos.
Would you anyone know what may be wrong here?

View attachment 2468188View attachment 2468189View attachment 2468190View attachment 2468191View attachment 2468192View attachment 2468193
Sorry no one's answered you yet. To me it looks neurological or maybe sight based. Does she react at all when you get near her? I'm sure someone on here can help you out with this in a bit. ❤️

Could anyone please provide some guidance?
My little guy seems to be getting worse... the other chicks were walking all over him and his head, so I separated him from the other's.
He is barely able to get up and it looks like there's not much movement in his legs

It could be splayed leg or something neurological I would separate her make sure she has easy access to food and water make sure she can’t drown in the water maybe add some clean stones to it so she can’t fall in it sorry I'm not much help @Eggcessive can u help

Back
Top Bottom