2 out of 7 baby chicks (5 days old, according to farm) have wings that are sticking out?

Selinanoelle

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2023
I have 2 baby chicks that have kind of wonky wings, both about 5 days old. They’re not laying flat when relaxed even after I try to help them lay them down in the correct position. They’ve just started getting their feathers in, do I wait until they get more feathered to try to deem this as a problem or should I get ahead of it now and do preventative care?
First timer here so I’m not sure if waiting or action is the best choice at a young age, if more photos are needed for a better diagnosis let me know and I can provide. One chick is an Azure egger while the other is a double silver lace barnevelder.

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpeg
    IMG_5921.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5947.jpeg
    IMG_5947.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5940.jpeg
    IMG_5940.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5929.jpeg
    IMG_5929.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5920.jpeg
    IMG_5920.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 5
It’s hard to tell in the pics, but I think what you’re seeing is normal feather development. What breed are the chicks?

My latest hatch of 5 had 1 chick, Splinter, who at 4 days had longer wings than the others- which I’ve seen happen before- but then it became so pronounced I did get a little concerned. But then she grew into her wings in a couple days and was fine. This pic- sorry I don’t have a better one- shows her slightly longer wing feathers at 4 days. I wish I’d taken a pic of her around day 8 when she was really awkward looking. But she’s 3 weeks old now and looks perfectly normal. She’s a mix but is mostly Orpington. Some breeds grow their feathers in at different times, so that might play a role.
IMG_2021.png

It’s hard to tell in the pics, but I think what you’re seeing is normal feather development. What breed are the chicks?

My latest hatch of 5 had 1 chick, Splinter, who at 4 days had longer wings than the others- which I’ve seen happen before- but then it became so pronounced I did get a little concerned. But then she grew into her wings in a couple days and was fine. This pic- sorry I don’t have a better one- shows her slightly longer wing feathers at 4 days. I wish I’d taken a pic of her around day 8 when she was really awkward looking. But she’s 3 weeks old now and looks perfectly normal. She’s a mix but is mostly Orpington. Some breeds grow their feathers in at different times, so that might play a role.
View attachment 3643989
Thank you for the info!!
The ones pictured is an Azure egger and a double silver lace barnevelder :) I will wait a couple more days to see how they grow in and if no changes I will update the post and photos!

View attachment 3643989

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5977.jpeg
    IMG_5977.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 4
Please turn off red light for any photos, it's impossible to see details.

Feathers growing in can often look weird or wonky. Split wing is a thing but you probably can't confirm that unless the problem is still present when they're older and feathered in.

Back
Top Bottom