2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh wow! I bet that'll be me in a few years. All of my chickens are named now, but I can't imagine that many names haha. :)

It's pretty cold here, I'll trade ya. ;)

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I am not sure why Blarney uses still air for hatching, edit to add, most of us have found to use what works for us, in our areas, I have never heard of turning off fans for hatching, this is the time they need oxygen, and humidity. But I have NO NO NO IDEA what u are using [​IMG] Again as I said in our PMs if u can get us pics more info we may be able to help you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. sonshine15

sonshine15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    I can't wait to see my Silkie babies!!! They're my favorite!!! Post your pics ok?

4. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    Just checking in, I'm still here! Y'all have been awefully chatty since my last check in! Wow!

5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Turning the fan off for hatching is thought to keep the chicks from shrink wrapping. Although it might increase the time it takes for a chick to shrink wrap, it is not the biggest factor in this. The biggest factor or most common is incubation temperatures that are off during the first 18 days. There is also flock health and nutrition issues that cause shrink wrap\sticky chicks.

It is better to focus on getting good development during the first 18 days. Get a thermometer like the brinsea spot check, make sure the eggs are turned enough and use the cool down cycle. Sticky or shrink wrapped chicks happen because the chicks did not absorb the yolk and moisture correctly--in other words they did not develop well. They will not be very robust.

If they are from your flock, make sure that the breeding flock does not have parasites and are getting good nutrition. The egg farmer that I hatch for told me proudly that he fed is flock only scratch grains all winter! Then he wondered why he was getting low hatch rates. The flock never did recover from that mistake.

Note: Sally knows this stuff--I am posting for the group!

3 people like this.
  6. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    [​IMG]
    Blurry selfie. The apron width is about 21". The ties are about 84" long total.

4 people like this.
  7. RavenBlue

RavenBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    BC
    [​IMG] Ok I couldn't decide between light Sussex, cream legbar or pekin ducks so I ordered 6 dozen quail (Japanese, texas A&m and button) instead for my Halloween hatch. I'm going to need a second bator now to do the others...

8. kdunn716

kdunn716 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI

I have quail going right now. Where did you get button eggs tho? I couldnt find any :-/

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]just a bit!! ha ha ha how have you been!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] love it!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. RavenBlue

RavenBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    BC
    Yay my 8 year old son wants teeny fried quail eggs for breakfast like his friend lol so I'm like ok lets get us some quail. I'm in Canada so not sure it will help you but I ordered from P&L gamebirds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by