2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Yep, sure ask away! Hatch a longs are always a great place to find advice
smile.png
Thanks so much! I have 5 eggs in the incubator but my issue is that they were all put in on different days. The oldest and youngest have a 4 day age difference. I need to keep humidity low for 3 that are not on lockdown and yet it needs to be high for the 2 on lockdown. I'm not sure where to have it at to avoid shrink wrapped chicks and chicks drowning in the egg. Throughout incubation I've had it at 50-55%. I'm hoping to raise it to 60 now until they're all on lockdown, then raise it to 65. Will that be ok? Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks so much! I have 5 eggs in the incubator but my issue is that they were all put in on different days. The oldest and youngest have a 4 day age difference. I need to keep humidity low for 3 that are not on lockdown and yet it needs to be high for the 2 on lockdown. I'm not sure where to have it at to avoid shrink wrapped chicks and chicks drowning in the egg. Throughout incubation I've had it at 50-55%. I'm hoping to raise it to 60 now until they're all on lockdown, then raise it to 65. Will that be ok? Any advice? Thanks!

I'm sure that will be fine..... I'm equally guilty for setting eggs on different days!

Well, one little chick decided to give the pokey little puppy a new name, putting my hatch rate at 92%!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I did my eggtopsies today (
hit.gif
) and they appear to have both died on day 17-18. Yolk sac not absorbed, but pretty much developed and moving into hatching position. Any ideas on why they died?

Uh oh. A great friend of ours, who is kinda like my uncle in more ways than one is giving me his incubator......here comes more trouble.....
there are many reasons that they may have died, were thye eggs both from the same hen, older eggs, etc, etc
but considering the hatch rate i wouldnt worry about it too much

Congrats on the others

Finally something more interesting than my eyeballs...
LOL, super cute!

New to this thread. Can't read all 51 pages lol. Sorry if this isn't the hatch-a-long I should be on. Hatching eggs this week. 2 in lockdown, 3 more to go. (they were all put in the incubator on different days). My first time so
fl.gif
Good Luck!! Staggered hatches are very difficult, much easier to have on bator and one hatcher, or gather eggs for a few days then set them

Ahhh! Talk about watched water never boils... Ugh... The third has pipped and refuses to come out even after I demand it to and stare at it constantly and play music and clucking sounds... And use my psychic powers to get it to unzip... No. It just wants to take its sweet time, with its beak poking out, I can tell its breathing, just slow! Lol Come on #3!
lau.gif

how are you aircells?
i would watch for draw down to have begun before increasing your humidity at all

there are many reasons that they may have died, were thye eggs both from the same hen, older eggs, etc, etc

Congrats on the others

LOL, super cute!

Good Luck!! Staggered hatches are very difficult, much easier to have on bator and one hatcher, or gather eggs for a few days then set them

lau.gif

how are you aircells?
i would watch for draw down to have begun before increasing your humidity at all
It's my first time hatching so that's the first lesson I've learned - set eggs aside before putting all in the incubator! It's hard balancing the humidity between too low and too high. I have it up to 60 right now, and I will increase it to 65 in two days when all of the eggs are on lockdown. The air cells seemed slightly smaller than I wanted, but I'm hoping they'll be ok anyhow.
fl.gif
The oldest egg is on day 21 tomorrow. I'll update if I have any hatches or not. Thanks!

It's my first time hatching so that's the first lesson I've learned - set eggs aside before putting all in the incubator! It's hard balancing the humidity between too low and too high. I have it up to 60 right now, and I will increase it to 65 in two days when all of the eggs are on lockdown. The air cells seemed slightly smaller than I wanted, but I'm hoping they'll be ok anyhow.
fl.gif
The oldest egg is on day 21 tomorrow. I'll update if I have any hatches or not. Thanks!
Good Luck! let us know if you have any other questions!

Ahhh! Talk about watched water never boils... Ugh... The third has pipped and refuses to come out even after I demand it to and stare at it constantly and play music and clucking sounds... And use my psychic powers to get it to unzip... No. It just wants to take its sweet time, with its beak poking out, I can tell its breathing, just slow! Lol Come on #3!

I KNOW what you mean!!!! I have the same problem....:rolleyes:

there are many reasons that they may have died, were they eggs both from the same hen, older eggs, etc, etc

Congrats on the others

They were from different hens, but eggs from both of the hens also hatched. I am not terribly worried though, everybody else seems fine! I was going to look for one other thing on them, and they dogs ate the embryos. Ugh. Shoulda know better.

MY LITTLE CALL DUCKIE HAS HATCHED!!!!!!!!!!

I shall post you all some picks when she's fluffed up. It looks like she's the only duckling going to hatch- she is already 4 days late..... Any advice for raising a single duckling? I will be giving her a mirror, and hopefully try to find her a friend, but people normally don't hatch ducklings until late spring/ summer in my area.
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
yesss.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom