2020 Fall Ducklings 🦆💖

What is your opinion on the fatality of crested ducks?
I’ve seen your posts on other threads and stop trying to argue with people. Please follow BYC rules and be respectful.
Woof!! Not the kind of stuff you like to see after recovering from two hypoglycemic shocks in one weekend. Let me make this quick and brief:

@Loopeend is my friend, i value her great knowledge about Indian Runner ducks and appreciate her opinions. What i certainly do not appreciate is seeing my friend's posts being downvoted as in a reflex or her threads being closed or deleted. Yes her topics often are "hot iron" but we need people like her! Without somebody speaking up people here would still be living in "the colony" and pay high taxes on their tea…

Now to the question about crested ducks: I completely agree with you @Loopeend and @FuzzyCritters what you said in that other thread: Crested ducks should not be bred intentionally as the crest is often detrimental to their mental and physical health. In my honest opinion this is as sick as breeding naked or tailless cats, certain breeds of dogs and other cruel things humans have done to animals just "because we can".

However: I was disappointed last spring when i discovered that two of the Spring ducklings had a crest, because i never ever wanted to have a crested duck! 1½ years later, those two crested ducks, Pompom and Pommes Duck are two of my most loved ducks due to their incredible sweet character and their high intelligence. So far their crests have not caused problems even though Pompom was the favorite of one of my drakes. In terms of breeding, i don't consider my self a professional breeder, my ducks just have ducklings and unfortunately two out of the eleven ducklings that hatched here (under non crested ducks!) have a crest. Leroy Brown and Pomponel Drake who both seem to be perfectly healthy and are my gentle giants.
So far i have made peace with the crested gene, but would i ever start to breed ducks professionally, i would do my best to eliminate it from my breeding stock.
Oh and finally i do think that ducks shouldn't wear diapers and are best kept outside!

Now vote me down!

Last edited:
what an amazing duck house! Love it!!!
Well Thank you very much! - This is a prefabricated chicken-cube that we bought at the local farm store for way too much money. - Don't tell the ducks that it is a chicken cube, please!!! ;)
After building the real duck-house, it sat disassembled in a dark spot before i decided to turn it into A vacation home for the Duckies

Woof!! Not the kind of stuff you like to see after recovering from two hypoglycemic shocks in one weekend. Let me make this quick and brief:

@Loopeend is my friend, i value her great knowledge about Indian Runner ducks and appreciate her opinions. What i do not appreciate is seeing my friend's posts being downvoted as in a reflex or her threads being closed or deleted. Yes her topics often "hot iron" but we need people like her! Without somebody speaking up people here would still be living in "the colony" and pay high taxes on their tea…

Now to the question about crested ducks: I completely agree with you @Loopeend and @FuzzyCritters what you said in that other thread: Crested ducks should not be bred intentionally as the crest is often detrimental to their mental and physical health. In my honest opinion this is as sick as breeding naked or tailless cats, certain breeds of dogs and other cruel things humans have done to animals just "because we can".

However: I was disappointed last spring when i discovered that two of the Spring ducklings had a crest, because i never ever wanted to have a crested duck! 1½ years later, those two crested ducks, Pompom and Pommes Duck are two of my most loved ducks due to their incredible sweet character and their high intelligence. So far their crests have not caused problems even though Pompom was the favorite of one of my drakes. In terms of breeding, i don't consider my self a professional breeder, my ducks just have ducklings and unfortunately two out of the eleven ducklings that hatched here (under non crested ducks!) have a crest. Leroy Brown and Pomponel Drake who both seem to be perfectly healthy and are my gentle giants.
So far i have made peace with the crested gene, but would i ever start to breed ducks professionally, i would do my best to eliminate it from my breeding stock.
Oh and finally i do think that ducks shouldn't wear diapers and are best kept outside!

Now start to vote me down!
I am just asking her to follow BYC rules. And I respect everyone’s opinion but that doesn’t mean you have to down people about things that they feel is right for their animals sonce their animals are happy and not an any abuse at all. I don’t know if you saw her last thread but i don’t think anybody wants to be downed for doing something they feel is right since they are doing nothing wrong at all. And it’s up to others if they want to keep their animals indoors or outdoors, either way is fine but I do respect your opinion.

I am just asking her to follow BYC rules. And I respect everyone’s opinion but that doesn’t mean you have to down people about things that they feel is right for their animals sonce their animals are happy and not an any abuse at all. I don’t know if you saw her last thread but i don’t think anybody wants to be downed for doing something they feel is right since they are doing nothing wrong at all. And it’s up to others if they want to keep their animals indoors or outdoors, either way is fine but I do respect your opinion.
My complain about closing and deleting her threads was not meant as critics for you! She explicitly asked her thread to be closed and you complied with her wish. But i have seen other threads in the past being closed or deleted and i think this is just bad practice.

My complain about closing and deleting her threads was not meant as critics for you! She explicitly asked her thread to be closed and you complied with her wish. But i have seen other threads in the past being closed or deleted and i think this is just bad practice.
They are trying to stop fights and arguments and keep everything peaceable and everybody happy. It’s the right thing to do. Oh and I didn’t close the thread, I’m not able to do that.

They are trying to stop fights and arguments and keep everything peaceable and everybody happy. It’s the right thing to do. Oh and I didn’t close the thread, I’m not able to do that.
Woopsie! I confused you with one of the administrators, who closed the thread.
I know they are doing their best to keep things nice and tidy, but sometimes step over the line. (Imho!) Raising and keeping poultry is no Disney-Land where everything's colourful and clean…

Woopsie! I confused you with one of the administrators, who closed the thread.
I know they are doing their best to keep things nice and tidy, but sometimes step over the line. (Imho!) Raising and keeping poultry is no Disney-Land where everything's colourful and clean…
There are many things wrong in the poultry world. And if she sees something that is abuse or against BYC rules she should report it or say that it’s wrong respectfully. She shouldn’t make a thread that’s rude and upsetting on something that makes the owners of ducks and their ducks happy. And she’s just trying to start an argument about crested ducks on here, she just needs to leave the subject alone. This is a great thread that many people are enjoying and nobodies even talking about crested ducks, which may have high fatality rates but so do many other animals. It’s best to leave the subject alone and just talk about something that will make everybody happy and keep the thread peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom