My sweet little nugget :love

054299CD-7458-4B1C-940B-2C5060EAC306.jpeg

It has 3 siblings now too, and another due tomorrow! The 3rd was an assisted hatch who wasn’t out when this picture was taken, because it was having complications (severe edema on it’s head), but it’s out now and doing great 😊.

60BAB75F-2A09-4C32-AB89-C946D5A53BA9.jpeg

I need some advice please... I have a quad of American Buff. Two geese are sitting on two nests. (The third goose is hanging around with the gander, no longer laying as far as I know.)

Sometimes the sitters are on separate nests and sometimes they seem to combine them and share one big nest. Last time I checked they had three in early development and around four clears. They've been sitting consistently for long enough for these all to have hatched so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I have five of their eggs in the incubator near hatch. I would like to give these to the sitters and take the others, incubate as appropriate and compost any clears, etc.

Should I:

1. Take their present eggs at night and give them goslings? (with/without the discarded shells?)
  2. Take the eggs and give them the eggs not-quite-hatched in their place?
  3. Offer them the goslings during the day and take away their unhatched eggs?
  4. Something else?
  5. Wear ear plugs and protective clothing? (yes, definitely...)
Thanks so much for your wit, wisdom, tails of joy or woe, etc.! I really appreciate it.

if i have a goose egg that looks internally piped but doesnt go on lockdown until sunday do i leave it in the turner? or put it on lockdown

its been internally pipped for days now I don't have hopes on it actually hatching as its due today and its not ex pip yet I think my geese are to old these days as this was the only fertile egg out of over a dozen and they are 9 years old

its been internally pipped for days now I don't have hopes on it actually hatching as its due today and its not ex pip yet I think my geese are to old these days as this was the only fertile egg out of over a dozen and they are 9 years old

I doubt it's due to age. I've had geese in their 20s produce fertile eggs. Geese are long lived birds, 9 years old would just be the top end of their prime years.

Fingers crosses it hatches.

Back
Top Bottom