$295??? They're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think that's just marketing spin... the same companies sell the same drugs in Canada and other countries for less money. They're funding their astronomical CEO bonuses and profit margins out of the wallets of Americans! Why? Because other countries cap the amount of profit a company can make. Here in America, "free market" means charge all you can get, and then some.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

They are paying for liability insurance, that is why medicine is so expensive in the US.

Take your prescription to a doctor in Mexico. He will write you a valid prescription for the same thing in that country. It is a lot cheaper there because they do not have all of the product liability law suits.

All of the people that live in my bother's trailer court take a bus down to the border every month to buy their medicines.

Rufus

Quote:
I truly hope that's a "yet" that never comes into your life, and I hope I didn't offend you by pointing out the choice of words to the other poster.. The thought of mailing $10/mo to 50+ healthcare groups is just....
barnie.gif
Can't even imagine. We've gotten hit with bills totalling more than four digits before and they really do come out of the woodworks...hospital here, doctor there, radiologists, anethesiologists, on and on it goes, all billed seperately. Makes you wonder if anybody actually works for the hospital you went to, or if they're all just contractors...ya know?

Anyway..
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yes they know that, and in so many ways it would be stupid for them to take such action. But there is a growing sentiment in this country to make every company or person that makes a profit evil. And they have no idea what evil is until profit is removed and replaced by gov control.

That aside, this thread is about scripts not hospitals.

Quote:
They get grants! When the grant is out, they are full price! They have received NO more grants for 2009 and I need to contact them again in 2010.

Again, the women's clinics and other clinics based on 'income' have a guideline of income minimum... here's what it is too... 170% BELOW the poverty line to get help for nothing, and at or below the poverty line to get prices based on income.

I used to goto one in Raleigh until I was 24. It was based on my income of $11,300 a year. I paid $50 a visit... that was my reduced pay because I did not qualify for free. Now we have a family of 3 living off of $30,000 a year and we do not qualify for anything, I lost WIC 12 months after my daughter was born when we made $26000 year... we no longer qualified. Twice they've tried to take medicaid from my daughter and I have to fight to keep it!

Now, if my husband could ever get med insurance at the job he's at I'd probably switch over. But again, not much I can do. I've been uninsured since I was 12 years old... I've never had a job where I had any benefits so I've always just called around and applied to these things just to be turned out.

Anyone in Central NC want a list, I have all the agencies you can apply to if you want to try to qualify for any of this? If you can get into some of them... like the free clinic at the old trainstation in downtown... its good stuff... and some of these places can even get you some dental cleanings and stuff too.

Quote:
are you talking about zofran? With insurance, each pill cost us $20.00. when my 10 yrd old daughter was on chemo, she'd have to take those pills to not throw up. She still would sometimes and everytime she did, 20 bucks in the trash.

Her chemo was a $40 co-pay every day and she had to go into the hospital for iv chemo 5 days a week.

We of course never told her that. 4 years later, she's still with us and she's been off chemo since Nov.

THANK GOD!

Did ya'll see that Michael Moore doc. "Sicko"?

I'm not crazy about him, but that show really made me think.

Quote:
are you talking about zofran? With insurance, each pill cost us $20.00. when my 10 yrd old daughter was on chemo, she'd have to take those pills to not throw up. She still would sometimes and everytime she did, 20 bucks in the trash.

Her chemo was a $40 co-pay every day and she had to go into the hospital for iv chemo 5 days a week.

We of course never told her that. 4 years later, she's still with us and she's been off chemo since Nov.

THANK GOD!

Hopefully I do not start a fight with this, but from what I have heard marijuana does a excellent job with controlling nausea from chemo. But it is illegal in our state and only legal in a few states. If this is true a pulling back of gov control could bring a lot of relief to people with chemo, at a affordable cost.

Quote:

THANK GOD!

Hopefully I do not start a fight with this, but from what I have heard marijuana does a excellent job with controlling nausea from chemo. But it is illegal in our state and only legal in a few states. If this is true a pulling back of gov control could bring a lot of relief to people with chemo, at a affordable cost.

I have told anyone that would listen, if it ever came to a vote, I'd vote to legalize it. They did put my daughter on synthetic (sp?) Marijuana, it was called Marinol. It worked pretty good, but I'd much rather have given her the real stuff in a pill form. Of course I don't want my child smoking a joint, but when she was so sick, I would've done anything to make her feel better.

Quote:
Please stop patronizing me and implying I'm being untruthful. It is very much not appreciated. I have been dealing with the issue, I have contacted the attorney general, I have contacted the licensing board, I have reported the collection agencies, etc....

Been there. Done that.

The point was, you can't say "NO doctor would ever do that'. I demonstrated to you that yes, at least one will, and I sincerely doubt I am that unique. Even if say, 90% won't, that still leaves a lot of people completely screwed over by unexpected and/or more than expected and/or outrageous medical expenses.

You are undoubtedly familiar with the laws and customs of your state. These things vary from state to state, county to county, city to city, hospital to hospital, even doctor to doctor.

I could also point out what doctor would risk loss of license, massive fines, and possible jail time by coming to work drunk, but pick a hospital and you'll find at least one doctor who has done just that. And probably kept their job as well.

I believe in another thread a lady talks of a unjust arrest made by government, so is government making unjust arrests on all citizens or is this a isolated case?

The answer to this question, just as the answer to the question 'do medical practitioners turn people over to collections or is this an isolated incident', is yes.

An unequivocal yes.

It varies from area to area. In some places, unjust arrests are common. In others, even just arrests are rare. In some areas, doctors are quick to turn patients over to collections. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could still find a doctor in the US willing to accept payments in eggs and make house calls.

VFEM, Planned Parenthood is gov supported I am surprised they are so expensive. I would have thought they would be next to nothing with gov money allocated to them.

They actually don't get anywhere near the gov money allocated to them they are often accused of getting, they are not wholly government supported, they provide a LOT of services to a LOT of people, and they are a sliding scale clinic.

Yes they know that, and in so many ways it would be stupid for them to take such action. But there is a growing sentiment in this country to make every company or person that makes a profit evil. And they have no idea what evil is until profit is removed and replaced by gov control.

Left-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Right.

Please notice the large amount of space between.

Quote:
Yep. I've actually sold some debt owed to me to a collections agency. Wouldn't have, but the guy sent me an email gloating about how not only was he not going to pay me the other half of my fee, but I was just a 'stupid girl' and should be grateful he was even willing to work with me in the first place. I got paid about $50 for the $1000 or so he owed me and washed my hands of him.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom