3x3 coop alcove suggestions

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Any suggestions on what to put in this awkward 3’x3’ alcove? Interior coop measures 9’6”x9’6”. There’s currently one long 3’x9’6” walk in area and I was thinking extend the chicken area the extra 9 sq ft but unsure what to put there to utilize space. Put roosting bars/poop boards along west and south walls to maximize space? Or maybe just poop boards along west wall and feeders/waterer in 3x3 area? Was thinking communal interior nesting box along north wall. 7 hens and counting! Planning 24” poop boards. Or maybe make it 2x3 run poop boards to wall and gain an extra foot of walk-in space?
F774F3A5-4B90-4701-BD4A-F6732E62BFA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Where will windows be?

I like to stack stuff, so I would put a communal nest box under the poop shelf. And yes, I think the poop shelf along the west wall looks great.

I worry about chickens getting stuck in corners and getting pecked on... so am leary of sticking food or water into an alcove.

You could make that a broody/ baby chick box on the bottom, and then roof the top as a dust bath. (Think poop shelf with tall edges to hold in the dirt.)

I wouldn't want that alcove to be a perch and poop shelf... I think it would be too awkward to clean... but it shouldn't get that dirty as a dust bath.

Or... you could make the storage area 9.5 feet wide, but the alcove area just 2 feet, not 3 feet deep... and use the 1 foot by 3 feet area as a built in feeder. So... a recessed feeder that could hold a bunch of feed and not take away from the 9.5 x 6.5 coop.

I would consider making a brooding/isolation area there, it won't be used all the time but it'd make for easier integration and also give you a built in set up to break broodies, treat injuries or illness, etc. If you make it so that the wall/divider there is removable (or it can simply be something like a wire dog crate that sits in there) then it can be open space when it's not in use, and converted easily when you do need it.

I would consider making a brooding/isolation area there, it won't be used all the time but it'd make for easier integration and also give you a built in set up to break broodies, treat injuries or illness, etc. If you make it so that the wall/divider there is removable (or it can simply be something like a wire dog crate that sits in there) then it can be open space when it's not in use, and converted easily when you do need it.

That’s exactly what I had it as! An area I set up a crate when needed and used as storage when it wasn’t in use. I was thinking I could stick a crate under poop board as a quick isolation area but Maybe I shouldn’t fix what isn’t broken and just deal with my original square footage :oops:

Nice sketch, contains pertinent dimensions.
But, is there a door between storage area and coop...which way does it swing??

I would put the nests in the wall between storage and coop...
....and roost/board on west and north wall.

A few pics.. hopefully this helps! The left hand (south) side walk in 3ft was/is a brooding/isolation area and it worked great for that but I got the bright idea of adding it as actual coop space... because... well chicken math! The interior photo was snapped last year. That existing poop board will be replaced with 2’ single roost bar instead of 3’ double roost bar. 3’ was too much of a pain to clean and deal with
EC04046A-E54A-410C-A8C8-8D2473D4D0D3.jpeg
F55A570A-5E7C-4760-B1E4-8BF6485ADE19.jpeg
32E83338-AA21-450B-A9E0-A02E3626DA96.jpeg

both interior and exterior doors swing out and hinges are on left side. Is there a reason you chose north wall and not south for poop board (besides awkward alcove on south side)?
Nope, just that.

I think the alcove was deemed to not be a great feeding area because it's kind of a tight space and birds could get trapped in corner.

Gorgeous coop!!! I was thinking broody/isolation pen, too. I have one, and it has been fantastic. I put a board above it, and the girls like to hang out up there. Maintains usable "floor space" even though it's not on the floor.

Thank you! Great idea. I could frame a board above whether I used crate inside coop or inside walk in area. I feel like there’s so much space to utilize waist up yet don’t want to get too high and cause injury to large breeds

Back
Top Bottom