5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Fluffed and wearing his new footwear.
lau.gif

Nice job!

I am off to check the feet on mine....They look perfect so far!

Just curious - what is your elevation? I'm at 2174, and wondered how that was going to affect things, but it doesn't seem to have been an issue - not that I'd know what it caused or that it caused it anyway!
lau.gif

We are just over 5400 feet, and very arid. From the reading I've done so far, because air pressure is lower (makes water not yet 212 degrees, boil, for example) oxygen percentage of ambient air lower, and humidity much lower, there are particular challenges to hatching here, especially shipped eggs. One article said to keep plugs in, another said to keep them out and to try and raise oxygen in the air in the room housing incubator/hatcher. So far I have not invested in an O2 machine, not really on my shopping list just yet. Leaving plugs in didn't work out so well, so this time I left the plugs out and added a humidifier to the room (someone here suggested it), and it seems to have helped. I also discovered 3 weeks ago that temps in my incubators were off, bought new thermometers, got temps back where they needed to be. I have read a couple studies saying eggs can hatch earlier here because of the decreased air pressure, but I also read that bantams will often hatch early anyway, so having Silkies hatch early can be attributed to either or both. The LF mixes were actually laid at a friend's house that's 2000 feet higher than mine, which theoretically should have made them more likely to hatch on time, but even those hatched early. I might still have a bit of tweaking to do with temps in the incubators, or it might just be the lower air pressure.

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES!

I want to give a big shout out to all my friends with pips and zips.....and fluffbutts!
wee.gif
also, my friends who sill have no pips, hang in there! I still have one egg to hatch with NO pip!
hugs.gif

Here are 10 of my 11 chicks....the bigger yellow ones are the OE mixes, and the tiny ones are the Japs. greyish ones are silkies, and the little black gal there in the middle is the jap silkie mix, milkshake.

Partridge Silkie chick?

Same Partridge Silkie chick?
Milkshake, our Japanese Bantam Silkie mix

Button, Japanese Bantam

The poor crooked beaked chick...

Last edited:
We are just over 5400 feet, and very arid. From the reading I've done so far, because air pressure is lower (makes water not yet 212 degrees, boil, for example) oxygen percentage of ambient air lower, and humidity much lower, there are particular challenges to hatching here, especially shipped eggs. One article said to keep plugs in, another said to keep them out and to try and raise oxygen in the air in the room housing incubator/hatcher. So far I have not invested in an O2 machine, not really on my shopping list just yet. Leaving plugs in didn't work out so well, so this time I left the plugs out and added a humidifier to the room (someone here suggested it), and it seems to have helped. I also discovered 3 weeks ago that temps in my incubators were off, bought new thermometers, got temps back where they needed to be. I have read a couple studies saying eggs can hatch earlier here because of the decreased air pressure, but I also read that bantams will often hatch early anyway, so having Silkies hatch early can be attributed to either or both. The LF mixes were actually laid at a friend's house that's 2000 feet higher than mine, which theoretically should have made them more likely to hatch on time, but even those hatched early. I might still have a bit of tweaking to do with temps in the incubators, or it might just be the lower air pressure.

Thank you for the explanation! I know water boils here at about 209-210, and I have to adjust the time & pressure when I'm canning, but other than knowing the atmospheric pressure is lower - didn't know what the effect would be on hatching.

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES!

I want to give a big shout out to all my friends with pips and zips.....and fluffbutts!
wee.gif
also, my friends who sill have no pips, hang in there! I still have one egg to hatch with NO pip!
hugs.gif

Here are 10 of my 11 chicks....the bigger yellow ones are the OE mixes, and the tiny ones are the Japs. greyish ones are silkies, and the little black gal there in the middle is the jap silkie mix, milkshake.

Partridge Silkie chick?

Same Partridge Silkie chick?
Milkshake, our Japanese Bantam Silkie mix

Button, Japanese Bantam

The poor crooked beaked chick...
Milkshake is A-dor-able! =) I shared your picture of the silkie with my sister in law, (she rasies silkies) and she says if looks to her like you have a partridge! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom