5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Congratulations to all the winners!!:woot It has been fun. Good luck to you all. Maybe we will see you during the Easter hatch a long :jumpy! And my hats off to you Ron , you did an awesome job! :thumbsup Thank you!! And Thank you all that made it possible!!:highfive:

Last edited:
1505551_10151843593270168_647328374_n.jpg
I have stolen this and will be sending it to my sister in Anchorage Alaska momentarily! Thank you soooo much ;P Bator update -- ok so I'm having to continue to assist the green egg - it's peeping was getting weaker so I candled & made a larger pip near the beak, the chick is malpositioned (would not have ever piped) the air cell is overly large for the egg (humidity too low first part of set) so I'm continuing to assist this one -- it is a mutt EE headed for layer flock to make eating eggs, NOT future breeding so no harm if I get a fowl ;> out of this egg, just to be clear on what I'm doing messing w/ it anyway. I foresee having to do likewise w/ the peeping large brown egg, candled & its air cell also appears way too high a % of the total egg again mutt OE destined to lay eggs or be dinner , might as well save them if they are viable, the fault of their situation is clearly the incubation, and their siblings a few inches over in the temp. brooder are doing fantastic so more of same and a larger group for body heat when they do move outdoors would be a _good_ thing!
I hatched a duck today whose air cell ran the entire length of the egg.. normal sized on the big end but was about a 1/3rd the diameter the entire length.. nice healthy duck hatched a all by itself.
I thin this is him/her

Winner of the Cutest Chick Hatched contest:

Avlana!

Second Place:

Esti!

Congratulations! Save the pictures for the Calendar contest later this year!

All of the pictures were great and thanks for sharing them.

To the both of you!

Last edited:
I hatched a duck today whose air cell ran the entire length of the egg.. normal sized on the big end but was about a 1/3rd the diameter the entire length.. nice healthy duck hatched a all by itself.

I thin this is him/her
aaaaaaawwwwwww ducks are so CUTE . I sold mine last fall, swore no more until I had a good sized real pond for them....agh they are soooo CUTE!!!

Overall, not sure this green egg I'm assisting will make it or not , always a gamble. I've got a 1 makes it 2 don't ratio on assists & the 2 that don't are those shouldn't have hatched anyway just not right types so I backed off on assisting over the summer when temps humidity etc were good & I was having 100-80% hatch rates. I'm thinking I just really shouldn't even try to incubate when this heat pump is running. I have the group I set on 12/25 then bator is going off until spring...

I wanted to send out a big thank you and good job to the other Participants that were nominated for the award. ChickenCanoe was a amazing and made this hatch great! Others contributed too.

Bantambury, Many of us were very impressed with you and your maturity! You were very helpful and insightful.

Gardeningmama, you managed to reply almost as much a I did! You really kept the thread moving and helped a lot of us!

JDchicks, We would not have had as good of a hatch without you!

Even though the three of you did not win, Hatch a Long members took the time to send me a PM telling me why you were the best participant.

Thanks to all of you!

Back
Top Bottom