6 week duckling attacked by older male, help!

May 24, 2017
Hes made it past the 48 hour mark of living but im still very afraid. Does he look like he'll be blind??? Weve been putting antibiotic ointment on him, is there anything else we can do??
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
IMG_8018.jpg

My gosh that is sad. I have no idea if he'll be blind can you actually see his eyeballs? Main thing besides keeping his wounds clean is keeping flies off of him. If they lay eggs in any open wounds he will be eaten up by maggots. He needs to be kept inside where he will be warm and have a chance to recover. Is he eating and drinking now. Put some Poultry Nutri drench in his drinking water to help boost his immune system while he heals.

Someone mentioned Terramycin eye ointment that would be a good thing to use on his eyes or veterycin eye gel. Both can help with healing and keep the eyes lubricated.

Last edited:
so sorry, not sure what to add but I hope the shock wears off soon and he recovers quickly. I've seen some amazing recoveries, so let's hope he is one of them. Best of luck!

so sorry, not sure what to add but I hope the shock wears off soon and he recovers quickly. I've seen some amazing recoveries, so let's hope he is one of them. Best of luck!

x4 (I haven't got the multi quote thing down yet but ditto everything Miss Lydia, Biophiliac and WVduckchick said. Are you certain it was a male duck? It's truly amazing what they can recover from. Just keep giving him supportive therapy... water, darkness, warmth and his favorite treats. Keep us posted and good luck.

x4 (I haven't got the multi quote thing down yet but ditto everything Miss Lydia, Biophiliac and WVduckchick said. Are you certain it was a male duck? It's truly amazing what they can recover from. Just keep giving him supportive therapy... water, darkness, warmth and his favorite treats. Keep us posted and good luck.
hes been seperated from all the males since hes still a baby and has been around the females. Unfortunately one of the male ducks was being picked on so one of the farm workers decided to put the male in the pen with the females and this little guy but he decided show dominance in the middle of the night and he absolutely destroyed this little guy.

Maybe some neosporin and vet wrap ... to fight off infection... and change daily...
some poly vi sol without iron...
and I'm sorry, don't know about that eye...
thats so sad....

Good lord. Any male that did that to one of my birds would be on my table the next day.

That eye's looking like it could definitely be enucleated. Is there any eyelid there? Are they functional? You're probably going to need some tetra ointment for that. Or something. It needs to be lubricated at least and treated with some antibiotic at best, and it might need a little vet work if you don't have a functional lid there.

If you can get a hold of a penicillin g injection at your local feed store, get him on that.

As these folks said, he needs to be inside. Flies will absolutely attack him. They may have already laid eggs on him. Watch all those wounds for maggots.

At the very least, those wounds need cleaning (you can rinse with some somewhat diluted iodine, I would NOT use peroxide or alcohol on this kind of wound) and TLC with antibiotic ointment. Only cover up the ones that are prone to getting dirty or irritated otherwise.

Keeping him hydrated and warm is imperative. With that much damage to his skin and feathers, he will have problems staying warm. He's not like a chick, but he will need protection from drafts and such. I doubt he's eating, so you'll probably have to weigh and dose him with nutridrench yourself every 8 hours, as well as keeping him hydrated, until he can keep food in him.

Good thoughts for him and you. I'm very sorry this happened, please keep us updated.

hes been seperated from all the males since hes still a baby and has been around the females. Unfortunately one of the male ducks was being picked on so one of the farm workers decided to put the male in the pen with the females and this little guy but he decided show dominance in the middle of the night and he absolutely destroyed this little guy.

How is he doing this morning @duckiegloverlover

I hope he's still hanging in there with you.

This completely skipped my mind last night, but he seems to be in some considerable pain, and will probably benefit from pain mitigation. A vet could script you some pain meds for him, which will aid in his recovery. A bird in pain just isn't a matter of reducing suffering - he will not eat, drink, or preen if he is hurting badly.

Back
Top Bottom