6 Week Old Pullet With Leg Injury - Seperate Her?

blueheeler1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Hello. I have a 7 week old mutt pullet. She started limping yesterday. From the post I am reading I think it is muscular. Once she gets the leg under her, she can stand straight up on it, but when she steps it kicks out a bit and she stumbles.

Anyway, my real question is should she be seperated. She and her sister, brother, and mother were going to be moved out into the big coop with our older chicks today. Now I don't know if I should move her. I want to get her brother over there sooner than later since we have 14 and 15 week old roos over there. Want to get them aquinted before they get more mature. I could keep her alone to heal and move the other three over, or I could keep her sister with her and move mom and brother. Would like mom to go into the coop with brother to be sure he has some protection from picking.

Anyone with any idea what I should do here. Thanks.

I would keep her in a small cage for a week or two. If she has a pulled muscle, she needs to do as little as possible with that leg. It will heal if she doesn't do much with it.

Keep her food and water elevated on something to keep the crud out of it. I use over turned dog dishes for such occasions, put the feeder on the upside down bowl and it keeps stuff out of it.

Good luck with your baby.

Back
Top Bottom