1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

60 New Chicks!!! Boy have I caught it!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maidservant, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Well, I thought I was set for a while, with my 28 chicks and 10 ducklings....until I saw an ad on our local craigslist about 1 week old chicks for sale for $0.75 each!

Needless to say, I brought home 60 new chicks! In the new batch, I have 15 silver laced wynadottes, 15 Rhode Island Red, 15 New Hampshire Reds, and 15 Barred Rocks.

These chicks are straight run, but I'm hoping for mostly pullets (I tried to sex them as best I could when I was pulling them out of their former brooders). The barred rocks will eventually go to my uncle, but that still leaves me with 45 chickens! Not counting all of my babies I already had, plus the 90 or so chicken eggs and 50 or so duck eggs in the incubators!

Yep, I've caught it bad...and I still want more cochin babies and I'm looking for muscovy eggs locally!

I really need to buy new batteries for my camera so that I can show off all of my babies!

Thanks for letting me brag a little!
    Emily in NC

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    [​IMG] I'd get it bad from my husband if I even attempted to bring that many home( [​IMG] )!!! ha ha ha... congrats on the new little ones!! Can't wait to see pictures of the little darlings! That will be one huge family photo. [​IMG]

3. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Everyone except for the 3 day olds and my lame chick are all out in our feed barn, which has much better ventilation than our spare bedroom! Those ducklings stink, lol!

4. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Well, I thought I was set for a while, with my 28 chicks and 10 ducklings....until I saw an ad on our local craigslist about 1 week old chicks for sale for $0.75 each!

Needless to say, I brought home 60 new chicks! In the new batch, I have 15 silver laced wynadottes, 15 Rhode Island Red, 15 New Hampshire Reds, and 15 Barred Rocks.

These chicks are straight run, but I'm hoping for mostly pullets (I tried to sex them as best I could when I was pulling them out of their former brooders). The barred rocks will eventually go to my uncle, but that still leaves me with 45 chickens! Not counting all of my babies I already had, plus the 90 or so chicken eggs and 50 or so duck eggs in the incubators!

[​IMG]
    VERY impressed - kinda jealous- Verrrry funny:lau

5. Clay in MS

Clay in MS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Mendenhall, MS
    At least you realize you have a problem - not in denial.[​IMG]

6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    [​IMG] You've caught the bug, all right. A particularly virulent strain, I believe, and I would recommend seeing a doctor right away, and perhaps get help from a psychiatrist specializing in 'chickoholism'. But I can see the prognosis is not good....and both experts will most likely prescribe a treatment involving more chicks and a larger coop [​IMG]

7. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Oh, forgot to say, here are my hatching dates for the ones in the incubator:

March 31 - 20 chicks
    April 1 - 7 chicks
    April 4 - 28 chicks (from a friend)
    April 7 - 36 chicks
    April 8 - 11 ducklings
    April 14 - 17 ducklings
    April 22 - 22 ducklings

All of these spread out over 4 incubators! Ahh!!!

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello neighbor I live in New London. I saw the same ad on craigslist. I was so tempted but I have sixty plus eggs in the bader and four broody hens on eggs. Congrats on the chicks and that was a good deal.

9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    What a bargain! I can't wait to see your pics!

Suzy

[​IMG]

10. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    n-da-woods, what kind of eggs do you have in the incubator?

Right now I've got mixes from my birds (golden comet and EE mainly), silkie, and hopefully pure RIR in two of the incubators. I also have some EE's, cukoo marans, polish, and hopefully cochin from a friend in another incubator! My fourth incubator is filled with mallard duck eggs (49 duck eggs!).

Let's just say, I won't get a break in April!

I MUST STAY AWAY FROM TSC FOR THE REST OF THE SPRING!!!!
    I bought six more ducklings two days ago....[​IMG]

Two are black with white faces and white bellies, one is blue, one is chocolate, and two are blue with white faces and white bellies.

I bought two more heat lamps today so I could finish seperating the 60 babies into their respective breeds. I did learn one thing, never ever mix RIR and NHR's! I think I've got them sorted out, but we will have to wait and see.

Well, I'm off to read a few more posts and then cuddle my lame chick!

Emily in NC

PS - I'm still trying to find batteries! I get paid Tuesday, so I will buy some then no matter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by