7 week old quail closing eyes standing still for long periods of time and puffed up

Treekthebeak

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
Hi,

My 7 week old quail is currently acting ill and is getting me very concerned. She is recovering from a peck on her head caused by her now dead sister and is acting very strange. She continues to close her eyes and run backwards and to stay still and close her eyes for a long time. She is also puffed up and has been since she was separated from her sister to heal and is sleeping in broad daylight. Any help?

I checked, she has runny poop but none of the other symptoms, her poop is also white and brown and quite watery but not bloody.
Symptoms are the puffed up, eyes closed and yes to watery poop! Bloody only happens with one of the strains of coccidiosis.

It will not hurt to treat them. Use corid. It is not a poison but a thiamine blocker so it is very gentle on the bird

Symptoms are the puffed up, eyes closed and yes to watery poop! Bloody only happens with one of the strains of coccidiosis.

It will not hurt to treat them. Use corid. It is not a poison but a thiamine blocker so it is very gentle on the bird
Ok thanks. Does corid say how much of the treatment to give them? and do you put it in their water or syringe it into her?

Ok thanks. Does corid say how much of the treatment to give them? and do you put it in their water or syringe it into her?
I have treatment amounts for chickens. I think it is the same for quail

Corid dosage chart.jpg

How do I know if it is severe or not? and where will I be able to purchase it in the uk?
I would start with severe because of the symptoms. Make sure all of them are drinking water. if not, you can use the liquid as full strength by using a dropper, a drop several times a day until it starts drinking on its own.

If it is coccidiosis, they usually start recovering in a day. Do follow the full two courses though

Back
Top Bottom