Chickmamaa209

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2019
California
hello friends and chicken family. Today I went to purchase a coop for my 2 week old chicks and decided to get the Snap & lock large chicken coop. It was on display for 300$ at my local tractor supply BUT its normally 800$ purchase online. I was a little confused because I have seen the same coop online for much more but decided to go a try to purchase anyways putting my confusion aside turns out they mislabeled the display outside so they decided to give it to me for 300$ literally 500$ off. I'm new to the chicken world but to me this seems like a great first purchase my babies, all I need is to purchase a run or make one. I don't think these type of deals come along very often. Can I see your coops & runs? I need some ideas for my new run I will purchase next week.

Last edited:
Screenshot (8).png

I have NO experience with these, so only talking from gut and not from science or proof. But - all this plastic would make me pretty nervous. I'm in a really hot region, and I'd be afraid I'd bake my birds. That also looks like very little ventilation.

My coop is made up of a 2x4" wood frame, 1x6" outer wood boards with space in between to let the air in, and a hardware cloth run. You'd be amazed how easy it is to build something.

I hate to say that your great deal isn’t that great, but. I think you can build something stronger, better for the chickens at a better price...that looks really nice...but in my opinion, that’s no what’s important..but if you want it beautiful than buy nice paint . And same thing for the run, you can build your own...also, it’s easier to add on that way when you have more chickens

It is a cute little coop. You can probably figure out a way to anchor it to the ground to keep it steady in wind. Maybe with some t-posts at each corner and lash it to them.
Also, as far as the ventilation, you will just have to see how it works. Pretty good size louvered area. I would expect it to draw out warm air"" and moisture. How many chicks do you have? One thing about the pre-fabs is that the manufacturers mislead you on how many chickens would be comfortable in it.
If you are going to have the chicks in the run, and no free range, then go as big as you can. Some people use dog kennel panels, or building with 2 x 4s and wire fencing, no larger than 1 x 2" would be good, too. Just don't build it out of chicken wire and expect it to be predator proof. Good luck!

I've never seen anyone with this particular coop, but have seen a few people who've repurposed those plastic kids playhouses into coops and rabbit hutches, which are a very very similar construction to this one you're looking at. All of theirs seem just fine. I have two sheds at my house that are similar construction and they too are fine.

My neighbors have one of those converted kids playhouse setups and it's placed inside a dog kennel type fence panel run

To anchor down the plastic coop in picture, I'd imagine it already has something in place - but I don't see why you couldn't simply drill some 1/2" holes in the floor and drive a piece of L=shaped rebar or a stake through it to anchor to the ground.

You folks are a bunch of Debbie Downers. Good grief, give the gal a break and rejoice with her for her good fortune. Plastic is only hot when there's no ventilation, and that coop looks to have maybe enough. If not, modifications can be made. The only varmint that's going to chew through that would be a rat or squirrel, not something I'd really be worried about. Keep food in a covered run and they won't want to get inside. For that matter they can chew through wood too. And it can be secured from the wind easily. Thank you for pointing that out to her.

To the OP: In case you haven't already seen this, here is your coop on Amazon. It gets very high reviews, which, along with the answered questions, might help you understand the coop's strengths and weaknesses. btw I love it. Hope it works well for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFO5KNW/?tag=backy-20

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom