9 week old EEs--what gender? Pic heavy!

Appaloosa Hill Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Southern Middle TN
Alrighty, gender guessers, here's one for ya! We picked up 8 EEs from our feed store. Supposedly all pullets. They're now 9 weeks old and I'm thinking three of our pullets are cockerels. What do you think?

This is Sundown.
100_2219.jpg

100_2220.jpg

100_2229.jpg

This is Cricket.
100_2218.jpg

100_2216.jpg

100_2231.jpg

The two of them together.
100_2217.jpg

This is Mojo. This is the only pic I could get of him/her. Camera shy.
100_2223.jpg

Well, whadda ya think?
hmm.png

Quote:
The first 3 pics are the same bird, the next three are all pics of a second bird, the next pic is the two together and then the very last is yet another bird. Sooooo, ya think bird #1 is a roo, bird #2 is a roo and bird #3 is a hen?

I think the first 2 are definitely pullets...3rd one could be a roo, but I can't tell from that far away. An EE roo's comb will have 3 lines of the comb instead of just one. This is a side shot, but maybe it will help:

15626_101_1199.jpg

First two Roos.. Last pic Hen I'm no good unless I can see it close.. going by color..

The one with the head turned in the last pic looks hen to me..

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, that would certainly make us all happy here!
big_smile.png
We just love the first two birds, they're super friendly and are quite a couple of characters. They do have combs that are just alike, but are very different from the 3rd bird's comb. #3's comb is definitely wider than birds #1 and #2. The combs on all three birds are very red, which is what's throwing me for a loop. I've heard EEs are difficult to sex and I believe it!
hmm.png
lol.png

I bought 6 EE pullets. One is pretty clearly a roo, both by behavior and by having 3 clear rows to his comb. The rest all look like pullets. The 3 rows is clearer than the color to me. Mine are 11 weeks. To me your pics look like pullets, but then I can't tell whether they all have the 3 clear rows.

okay...wait a minute. a single comb means pullet??? I have been told this fella/pullet is a roo. Is he/she a pullet or roo?
23509_dsc02295.jpg

23509_dsc02280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom