1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

9th egg 1/2 zipped broody won't stay on it*link to video in post 11

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kipepeo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kipepeo

kipepeo Songster

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    what should i do i have brought in house it is peeping and chilled HELP

I have it on a moist heating pad (microwaved)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. kipepeo

kipepeo Songster

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    i REALLY need so input please

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Put a heat lamp on it since you have it inside. Let it finish hatching on it's own, if it can't, it probably wouldn't survive anyway.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You can also wrap the egg in a damp paper towel so it won't dry out too quickly. The ideal situation would be to let the momma take care of it, but it sounds like that's not happening.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If it is halfway zipped around the egg already, i would just carefully see if I could pull the halves apart and let the chick out. I would set it on clean paper towels to dry, under a brooder lamp but keep a close eye. Sometimes those chicks are weak and can't get closer/farther from the heat at first and could cook or chill. There is a fair chance it will be weak an never walk, just linger a day and die, but you never know. I would try to help it.

6. kipepeo

kipepeo Songster

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    its out I peeled the top off and then waited for it to push itself out while keeping damp cloth over it we will se how it goes know it is not ideal but had to give it a chance since it was halfway here and mom wasn't staying on it. Found the 8th chick hatched out yesterday and had to get it warmed up and then placed in under last night and it is fine.

THX for help

7. kipepeo

kipepeo Songster

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    chick is doing well standing and drying off still wobbly

8. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Good Job!!

keep baby about 90-95 degrees or so. I have put a 1/2 drop of Karo syrup in a weak chicks mouth to keep them going until they are strong if they are still weak after a day or so and not eating or drinking yet. It is probably too early to even bother with the karo. Might just be fine. Good luck with this baby! This one will probably be your favorite!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  9. kipepeo

kipepeo Songster

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    Baby is all fluffy dry and walking I popped back under mom tonight so hopefully will all be well in the morning

10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Great!!! Glad to hear it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: