A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I think my Blue is broody again. She was sitting on a nest last night, one the chickens and her have been using in the woodshed.

I decided beings she was still there this morning to give her some chicken eggs to hatch, she was sitting on 2 fake eggs, one turkey egg ( hers) and 3 chicken eggs. I took the turkey egg out and gave it to Mom for a omelet. I am not into eating partially developed eggs, Mom lost her taste buds 60 years ago, and she is semi-senile and will not notice the fetus..........(J/k come on lighten up and have a drink!)

I do not need anymore turkeys. I am over loaded with them and I did not want eggs that hatch a week apart under her. So I went to see if she would let me change eggs. She let me but only after putting up a fight. She hissed at me, she flared out her feathers and she bit me, over and over.

Here are 3 of the thousands of bites she gave me:

[​IMG]

She even bit my other arm as I was reaching under her. I would think if she was not broody she would have ran off, instead of staying to fight.

As you can see these are potentially life threatening injuries. I am going to lay around and take a few bottles of Mike's to dull the pain and help the healing. It is a shame to get injured on a day like today because I had such big plans for things I wanted to get done. Oh, well, I need to nurse that injured hand and arm now....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    She sure showed you! Perfect reason to take the day off and nurse your wounds. I hope you are able to convalesce quickly.

Sorry to hear about Ethel's baby. :( Was it the same hen who had your hand for lunch?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    MM we need some pics of your turkeys!!!

4. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Well it sure took me a while to get my pictures to my computer. Something about my cloud being too full to upload photos or something. Anyhow..... dramatic drum roll please.....
    Here are the turkeys!

[​IMG]Banshee

[​IMG]Tomahawk

[​IMG]Banshee, Tomahawk, and Dinner (who is ever annoyed with the dog)

[​IMG]Dinner

[​IMG]Getting a drink

[​IMG]Their favorite place to sit.

[​IMG]
    How old are they now? I had to go look. 11 weeks tomorrow!
    They didn't want to pose perfectly for me so I could show you the difference in size and look (other than color) of Tomahawk and Banshee. But from just the head photos, you can see we have our boy and girl names swapped! Oh well. They don't care.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Banshee is a great looking bird... I have never thought of "Banshee, Tomahawk and Dinner" being anything but unisex names..

BTW are you taking an incubator on vacation?

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    They look great!!! I agree with backwards names. :D

7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    MM they are beautiful birds and I love your names they are pretty awesome!

8. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    MM nice looking bunch of turks.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I left my birds in my Mothers care today,, 2 died! arrrrgggh,,,

I hate leaving home for a whole day, things always happen. I think she let them bunch up in the brooder and forgot to check the water, and turn off the heat lamp.....

10. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    So sorry to hear that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by