Pics

BantamUsername

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
Hello there,
I have two 17 day old chicks
One of the chicks died in less than 5 minutes.
10 minutes early I heard the chicks Chirping very loud, so I checked and one chick was very aggressive.
The aggressive chick didn't peck the other chick, the aggressive chick kept trying to Stand on top of the other chick.
Then I separated the aggressive chick.
But then I heard the chicks chirp louder, then the chick suddenly stopped chirping.
So I checked the chicks again
And the non-aggressive chick was dead.

The chicks are Rhode island reds
The chicks are females.
The chicks are about 17 days old.
The chicks are in a brooder with Pine shavings
I'm very curious to know why the chick died.
Also the chick which died was the youngest and smallest chick.

Last edited:
The chick could have died from stress of being picked on.

However, check the temperature and the ventilation, and make sure the chicks have enough room, good diet and clean water.

Sorry for your loss.

The chick could have died from stress of being picked on.

However, check the temperature and the ventilation, and make sure the chicks have enough room, good diet and clean water.

Sorry for your loss.
it might of been stress, but the chick died after I separated the aggressive chick.
And thanks

Last edited:
Possible but unlikely, they will chase each other around and play with big pineshavings but they don’t eat them(they will eat small one though) and even if they did the chicks are big/old enough to swallow them. It could have been stress in general, the abrupt change(even if its meant for good) can stress a bird out even more than the original situation. The other bird in probably lonely now, maybe try to find MORE THAN ONE 2 1/2 week old pullets for her(I know it’s tricky but Craigslist is a good place to check)

Last edited:
How big are the shavings? I was told no wood shavings till after bout 4 weeks + in cause they ate them and it something like impacted crop. I would have personally used sand. buit I'm sorry for your chick loss.

Back
Top Bottom