A Few EE's Roo's or Pullets? (5 Weeks)

10whiskers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Florida
All of them are 5 weeks old. Pics 1-3 are same bird. 4-6 are same bird. 7-9 are the same too. The last one has the bird (looks kind of like a bald eagle) in Pics 4-6. I'm sorry about how these are presented. I've never posted pics before. I have 20 straight- sexed birds and no experience. I'm having nightmare's, that all 20 of them are Roosters! Are any of these pullets? Thanks!

Roo, pullet, brown looks pullet, third from the bottom looks rooish, but it looks like a single comb and I suck sexing single combs,second from the bottom looks hen, bottom one I can't tell...lol...but I can tell you with pea combs which tends to be dominant with EE's that at 5 weeks usually with my experience the roos will have a very noticeable comb and the hens will not.

Pretty bird's! I think the 1st ones a roo.
The rest look like pullets.
I've heard black and white coloring is usually male in EEs but have seen pullets. The 2nd one I think pullet still tho.

Thank you for your answers. "Pretty" Oh no! Doesn't that mean Rooster when it comes to EE's? The (bald eagle) chick is the most washed-out and smallest (but not by much) of the twenty chicks I have. I was even hoping someone would say he/she is a rooster. The chick in the third set of pics is a deep rust color like I would see on a show quality Irish Setter.

These chicks must be the Large Fowel (?) type. All of them are huge! I think, besides the color variation, it's one of the reasons I've been having so much trouble. I'm hoping as they grow, the difference in size will show up. If it doesn't I'm going to have awfully large hens or "normal" sized roosters. I can't have rooster's. I'm hoping six of the twenty will be pullets, but I'm not holding my breath. Except for one, they all feathered in about the same time too.

In case you're wondering why they are still in their brooder (an over-turned dresser), I read a thread about ventilation and realized the 8x10' coop is not ventilated enough. Rooster or not, I'd rather them be crowded, than suffering in this Florida humidity.

PS: I just found the EE thread again. Maybe they'll be able to guess on some of the other chicks. I was told they are all EE's, but there were 10 of the striped chicks, 2 gray ones and 8 black ones and some of those now have rust color on the tips of their wings. UGH!

The farmer pointed out the Father. He was huge with a rust colored neck, but his tail feathers were multi-colored. The chicks the farmer had listed for breeds numbered about seven, so I have no idea where the other rooster's were.

Five days old.

They were probably in a mixed breeding pen with ameraucana. It looks like you have a couple of blue ameraucana pullets and black :), breeder did right if in a mixed pen and sold them as EEs or they may have crossed a pure ameraucana with an EE for good egg color and gotten some close to standard colors:). You'll know more when they molt :)

I like EEs because they're all unique (pretty lol)
I see one (maybe 2 - the b/w colored one maybe) roos. EEs can be a bit harder to sex than ameraucana.
My ee hens are dominant lol so I thought they were roos. Then got eggs! And and we roo I swore was a hen (never crowed 9 months old) finally crowed but was feather colored like a hen. Lol

On ameraucanas, pea combs have rows. High center row or no center row is usually a pullet. 3 raised rows of 'peas' is usually roo.

Back
Top Bottom