A hundred bucks a meal? Are you guys pulling my leg? With poll

How many of you spend a hundred dollars on a meal for a couple?

• I do weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do monthly

• I do yearly

• I have, but only a few times

• I never have but would like to

• No! Are you outta your everlovin' mind?!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Wedding vow renewal in Key West, FL...just the two of us. Dinner at A&B Lobster House (Alonzo's) $500+ for dinner and drink...3 Bottles of 1999 Louis Roederer Cristal champagne waiting in our suite upon arrival - $1,700+......was it worth it? Definitely.

I remember about 20 years ago (I was 20ish) I went out with a guy who was obviously trying to impress me with his great wealth (snort).. He took me to some fancy place that probably cost about $50 a person. The portions were TINY (I may not be a big person but I do like FOOD with my food) - ITTY bitty portions spread out with lots of garnish. All I could think of during the meal was "I'm hungry!" and "I could buy a few weeks worth of groceries for what these tidbits cost".

I never eat fast food, so it's not like we hang at McD's either.
smile.png

It's not area related - I live in rural VA. If you go to a nice restaurant, the bill is easily $100. Heck, to go to Olive Garden with the tip and tax the bill is $60+.

The most we ever spent on a meal was in Banff, Canada - at "The Grizzly House" - a really nice, upscale Fondue place that was simply delicious. It was also quite different than anything we had every had before.....you cook your own mean on granite slabs with different varieties of spiced butter. Meal was $284 US Dollars. There were 4 courses and it took us about 2.5 hours to get through it. It was great !!

Quote:
I'm impressed! I didn't even pay that much for my wedding.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

We didn't pay that much for our first marriage ceremony either - the one dinner at A&B when we renewed our vows was more expensive than the total cost of the first wedding ceremony. We had a church wedding the first go-round - I bought a "last years" model dress, made the flower arrangements and invitations, had the reception at our house with under 20 guests and a one layer wedding cake with petit fours and nuts/mints on the side. After 20 years together, complete with the highs and lows of marriage, step children, children, etc. and no debts other than the mortgage on our home VA and and our vacation home (which we rent out except for 2 weeks of the year) in the Outer Banks of NC, we splurged big time on the vow renewal (no debt incurred) and had a blast in Key West. We love each other dearly and that was a wonderful, private renewal celebration of that love - two adults playing like children and re-marrying barefoot on the beach at sunset....

My vote was: "I have, but only a few times"
I wish there was another catagory saying "I have, but only a few times in the distant past (Reagan years) but will never again"
What with the economy the way it is and our taxes going to everyone but us working stiffs, just a few years (15) away from promised SS and now it seems I'm 1 year too young and will never get anything in my old age, no savings in the bank and a motgage
th.gif
Good for you who can! I belive you are in a shrinking minority.

I'M single so eat out alot, almost daily. When out on a date bill over 100 for two of us , is common....and yes its worth it mmmmmmm.

But still love a home cooked meal ...ham and beans with cornbread & milk...

I have done it in the past but I would rather buy the ingredients fresh myself and cook at home. I can generally make things that taste better than most restaurants, even fancy ones...I also love to cook, and eat
lol.png

One time, I mentioned going to this one restaurant (owned by a well known former mayor and radio personality) to a friend of mine and how they were charging about fifty dollars an entree there. He got all defensive and says that was nothing as he easily spends three hundred dollars when he goes out to eat and very often. He's not rich, he was a postal carrier. And, this was about 10 years ago. I can just imagine the prices of the food now.

I, personally, think it's gotta be one really great restaurant for me to spend that much money. I mean the food has to be beyond fantastic and the atmosphere must be absolutely wonderful. At this restaurant, it was neither. Yes, the food was good, you might meet a local celebrity, and it was a place with a lot of history, but I don't feel like that justified the price. Elitism is the only reason why they would charge that much to eat there.

Just think how many Subway sandwiches I can get for a hundred bucks.
smile.png

I am a excellect cook but I also am a foodie. Most of our vacations are based on food. We dine out 4 times a week but have to travel to get to the real good places to eat. The most I have spent on a meal for 2 is $750. The most I have spent in a week is $4,000 on food, on my last trip to Las Vegas. We do this about once a month.

Back
Top Bottom