A lonely goose question (injured Canada Goose)

TabbyCats

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
I joined because I have goose questions. Canada Goose, specifically. I live in NC on a small subdivision pond. About 5 years ago this coming summer, a broken-winged Canada Goose arrived here and made the pond its home. I checked with a wildlife rehabber, but they said that if the broken wing was more than 24 hrs old, they couldn’t do anything to help it and that if they came to get it, it’d just be put down, and so it has remained here. It’s been nicknamed “Ducky” (Duck Duck Goose). We have no real idea as to its gender, but watching prospective mates its first couple of springs, it seemed the suitor goose stood guard more, so maybe that made Ducky the female?

We befriended it and fed it supplemental corn whenever there weren’t other geese around (didn’t want them staying!). This time last year, a goose pair arrived with the intent on making this pond their home for a nest and promptly made Ducky’s life miserable. I tried and tried to chase them off, but it didn’t work. They forced Ducky away. I was broken-hearted for her and worried. I finally saw her at the closet pond and then not again for awhile. She did try to come back after the appropriate amount of nesting time, but wouldn’t you know it—the nesting pair laid duds, and they were trying a second nest, and poor Ducky had to leave again, the same evening she’d arrived. Thankfully, I was in the backyard when she arrived, and I was able to feed her and offer water to her (since the gander wouldn’t let her in the pond) and kept watch over her while she rested. I had to come in at dark, and I’ve no idea when she left, but I didn’t see her again until months later at a pond over a mile away. Oh, and the second nesting was also a dud. Thank goodness….hopefully that left a bad taste in their mouths, and they won’t be back?

She was away from last spring (she was forced out last March, returned for one day at the end of May, then left) until last month. She showed back up one snowy January morning, and I was running through the house, “Ducky’s home, Ducky’s home!” She’s been very skittish of us, even though she recognizes us and accepts corn and our company. I’ve been chasing any pairs of geese I see, hoping to thwart any from thinking this is a nice place to live. I use a slingshot (I can’t / don’t want to hit hard, just sting) and a green laser to chase.

But, poor Ducky. The honking is so forlorn of an evening. She wants to fly away, I can tell. This is no life. If I couldn’t find a mate or a flock to be part of, to fly, to constantly be scared because of the disability, I wouldn’t want to live another 20 years…..

So, thanks for reading this far….. what can I do for Ducky? Should I try and find her a farm pond to go to that has domestic geese? Should I try and find her a companion and bring here (though I don’t know what the subdivision would think, although only one other house backs up to the pond)? Would it matter if it’s a domestic goose (would need to stay here, obviously)? What if it ended up being the same sex? If it were a domestic goose, it’d have to live like Ducky—in the “wild” (it’s a country subdivision with 1+ acre home lots). The pond is nice with ⅓ lined by trees / brush and a couple of acres of field on one side, our house on the other with a nice backyard. Other wildlife passes through, and I often hear Ducky honking a warning at night.

Anyway, I’m just really attached to this goose and want the best for it. I’d love to help it more if I can…… Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Tab

Before adding another goose Might be a good idea to get the okay from HOA or any other entity that may have the rules where you live. Ducky being unable to fly is amazing she/he has lived as long as she has, she would have had to walk to the next pond.
If you did get another goose it would have to be an adult, goslings would have to be raised in a brooder with heat before being let out on the pond.

Might be a good idea to check and see if you can find a rescue close by that would take her in, Here in NC we have Carolina Water fowl and they will take in injured or homeless birds etc. So maybe something in your area.

Bless you for caring for Ducky.

and Welcome to BYC

Thank you for replying, Miss Lydia.

When I called the wildlife rescue for the Raleigh area back when I first noticed her, I seem to recall being told that if they came to get her, they'd put her down...that it was best to just leave her where she is.

She's such a plucky goose! I can't imagine what all she went through first when she left and then in returning. The furtherest we knew her to be was 1 mile away. Even pond-hopping her way back, it was a long way one tiny webbed-step at a time, through woods, under fences, across a county highway.

She's on the pond at night, and in the daytime, she rarely strays far from it. We have a nice group of crows, and she pays attention to them, so they alert the neighborhood if something is amiss in the daytime. She's just lonely! She's been more restless since she got back from her exile, honking a lot and wanting to fly away at dusk. Maybe it's the mating time of year making her feel that way? I try and visit with her as much as possible, and she seems to like it, staying and preening and sitting quite close to me. I just wish there was something more I could do....

I wonder if a rescue would know of another flightless Canada Goose that could come live with Ducky....

Thanks for listening. I just needed to tell someone about her and have a place to ask questions about geese.

Aww bless her heart she may call in a gander wouldn't that be nice.

Anyway you might contact Carolina Water fowl rescue Jennifer Gordon is main person in charge she is awesome and might be able to help. [They have geese living there that are in their 40's.] Wild and domestic

Sounds like she has become a good friend and I hope she stays safe from predators that is my main worry not being able to fly to protect herself. But she is amazing to have made it as long as she has and hopefully she'll continue to make it for a long time to come.

Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
I agree that it may be in Ducky’s best interest to be brought to Carolina Water Fowl or a Farm where he/she can live out the rest of his/her life with other geese even if they are domesticated I think she’ll just be happy for the company and not care that they look a bit different than her. I hope you’re able to figure something out for Ducky!

Last edited:
Hello again. I think I will contact Carolina Water Fowl Rescue because you're right--she'd be much happier with companionship. I just wish they weren't so far away from Raleigh.

As for her wing--it's been injured for almost 5 yrs now, so it's probably not fixable.

After chasing off last Sunday's visiting pair, it was a quiet week, but this morning arrived with another pair (no idea if it's the same ones) on the pond. She's enjoying their company today, but I don't want them getting so comfortable here that they decide that it'd be a good place to raise a family. I don't want a repeat of last year where she's chased off again.

The first couple of springs saw potential mates for Ducky, but they didn't last much more than a week or two--once they figured out she couldn't fly away with them, they left for good. It was so sad to hear her lonely honking as the suitor took flight one evening.

Thanks for asking after her!
Tab

Back
Top Bottom