A lonely goose question (injured Canada Goose)

Yeah, I realize that. I can't control all the variables, that's for sure.

We've been on this pond for 9 years now; the last 5, Ducky has been here. Only last year was a pair interested enough to nest here. I *think* I might have been responsible for that happening.....

The season before, Ducky had had a potential suitor. "He" (?) hung around for 2 weeks, and I got hopeful. Enough so that I thought I could seal the deal for her by offering him corn, too (we don't feed Ducky where other geese can eat, too). He got to be a pest, begging for it. He was quite brazen. But, in the end, it wasn't enough dowery to him to pledge his troth. (Now I know not to try and play match-maker.)

Fast forward to the next spring (last year), and the pair shows up to chase Ducky away. The gander definitely felt at ease in my backyard and found the bird feeder up by the driveway too easily. I think it was the one from the previous year who realized this would be an awesome place to live and have a family with all the free corn...just not with broken-winged Ducky. He took no mind of me trying to chase him off (once I saw him picking on Ducky), throwing rocks, etc. No other pair has acted like that. None this year have come into my yard.

Anyway, what exactly constitutes a fine place to nest (so I can make it undesirable)? There's daily dog walkers by the pond--wouldn't that be enough to deter a nest? Nightly visits by foxes, raccoons, even coyotes?

Thanks.

Dogs would def keep them from nesting, dogs rank up close to top on preds of water fowl. Plus all the other preds. It amazes me Ducky can keep from being eaten with her not being able to escape a pred by flying.

You def don't want to feed any of the others that come around. They really can get to be a pest, just like ducks at parks that are fed by the public. It's not their fault though.[water fowl]

She may not ever attract a mate because your right it is their instinct to migrate even if it's just over to the coast. I wish there was something you could do for her but unless you take her to the rescue I don't see how there is. other than being her friend. Which water fowl rescue did you talk to?

I contacted Carolina Waterfowl Rescue as recommended here via their FB page (sent a private message).

Ducky doesn't get too far from the pond, and dogs are mostly on-leash (except for the few escapes). I guess she floats on the pond at night. Used to, I'd go check on her when I'd hear honking in the middle of the night, and I could tell then she was floating in the pond. I guess the honking was instinct, to either announce the nearby intruder walking by the pond or to "warn" them off.

She pays a lot of attention to our resident crows. They have sentry posts all around, and she's always listening to them. There are times when I don't see anything, but I'll notice her running for the pond.

I pray for her a lot, too :)

I don't see how she'll ever attract a mate once they realize she can't fly off with them :-(
I really think that it’s best for her to go to Carolina Waterfowl. They may have another flightless Canada goose for Ducky to be friends with. Ducky sounds like a sweet bird and I know that you want what’s best for her. I know how hard it will be to let her go (I had to rehome 3 accidental cockerels on 3 seperate occasions & it broke my heart each time), but you want her to be happy and in a safe place with other geese.

She has a good friend in you, and yes crows are really good at sounding a warning mine always look to the sky when they hear crows.

It's very sweet you pray for her main reason she is still around I'd say.

How to transport geese, you need a Large or Xlarge dog kennel the all plastic kind with metal door. Plenty of wood shavings [Not cedar] catch goose with treats and place in crate and transport.

I really think that it’s best for her to go to Carolina Waterfowl. They may have another flightless Canada goose for Ducky to be friends with. Ducky sounds like a sweet bird and I know that you want what’s best for her. I know how hard it will be to let her go (I had to rehome 3 accidental cockerels on 3 seperate occasions & it broke my heart each time), but you want her to be happy and in a safe place with other geese.
I think this is best for her. Even though the rescue may seem to have small ponds for the number of waterfowl, she will probably be happier just to be in a permanent flock, even with domesticated geese.

Staying where she is for 20+ years would be a lonely life.

I think I've found her new home! Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary over near the coast. Their place and pond(s) are larger than Carolina Rescue's (and both are about the same distance from me in opposite directions), and they have several wing-injured Canada geese already! One pond is big with a couple of floating pontoons so they can escape from predators. I just wish I could find something closer, but there aren't any places like that in the Raleigh area. Now to read up on how to catch a goose. I dread this part. I don't want her to remember me as the human who betrayed her trust, although I know it's for the best.

If she loves corn and she comes close then just grab her by her neck[ you can't hurt her] their neck muscles are very strong. Then you wrap your arm around her body and pick her up and put her into the dog crate. She will be scared but your helping her that is what you have to keep in your mind. Just make sure you get her the first time you try.
You can also cover her head with a towel to lessen stress till you get her in the crate.
It sounds like a really nice place.

Back
Top Bottom