A lonely goose question (injured Canada Goose)

I think I've found her new home! Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary over near the coast. Their place and pond(s) are larger than Carolina Rescue's (and both are about the same distance from me in opposite directions), and they have several wing-injured Canada geese already! One pond is big with a couple of floating pontoons so they can escape from predators. I just wish I could find something closer, but there aren't any places like that in the Raleigh area. Now to read up on how to catch a goose. I dread this part. I don't want her to remember me as the human who betrayed her trust, although I know it's for the best.
That is fantastic! I’m so happy that you found her a place to go where she will be cared for and have many friends.

Oh Lordy....I just can't imagine wrangling a goose! I've got some time to think on it. Hubby is too busy at work right now to help. I'll just set about gathering supplies....

If I use a net to toss over her, surely that'll get me some time to get a good hold of her? Because the net would keep her from going anywhere, right? Then I can't imagine getting her easily OUT of the net into the crate.

What size crate do I need to go get? Are wood chips better than old towels or blankets (in the bottom of crate)? Do I try and put food / water in crate with her? Will she honk the whole way there??? Any thoughts for me? A THREE HOUR drive, yikes! Wish we had a pickup to put her in back (SUV instead).

I guess I'll need to catch her before she has a chance to eat too much cracked corn. That's when I'll need to do it, but what about her needing grit and water after eating some? Am I over-thinking this?

I sure appreciate all your support! No one else (besides hubby) understands my love for this goose.

Thanks!

Oh Lordy....I just can't imagine wrangling a goose! I've got some time to think on it. Hubby is too busy at work right now to help. I'll just set about gathering supplies....

If I use a net to toss over her, surely that'll get me some time to get a good hold of her? Because the net would keep her from going anywhere, right? Then I can't imagine getting her easily OUT of the net into the crate.

What size crate do I need to go get? Are wood chips better than old towels or blankets (in the bottom of crate)? Do I try and put food / water in crate with her? Will she honk the whole way there??? Any thoughts for me? A THREE HOUR drive, yikes! Wish we had a pickup to put her in back (SUV instead).

I guess I'll need to catch her before she has a chance to eat too much cracked corn. That's when I'll need to do it, but what about her needing grit and water after eating some? Am I over-thinking this?

I sure appreciate all your support! No one else (besides hubby) understands my love for this goose.

Thanks!
I don’t know the answer to your questions, but I wish you luck in getting Ducky to her new home! It’s so awesome of your o look after her for the past 5 years and I’m sure Ducky will never forget the kindness that you have done for her. God should bless you for taking such great care of Ducky :hugs

Last edited:
You are a good person for doing this. My non-expert opinion is that she is going to be too stressed to be interested in food, water or grit and that it won't be necessary for a 3 hour ride. Presumably, she goes several hours each night without eating or drinking.

Not sure the best way to catch her. If you had help, and you think you can get close enough to grab her, I would grab her by the neck and then have your friend throw a towel over her immediately and use that to pin her wings to her body before putting her in the crate.

Good luck!!!! We are rooting for you.

Towels under her in the crate would work well. Old ones.

No food and water once you get her in. You can cover the crate with a towel that will keep her quiet.

Do you know any one who has a dog X pen you could borrow? I used one to catch some ducks that had been dumped at our mt river. I set it up left one end open put food all the way to the back so the ducks had to walk all the way in. once they went in I closed up the open end and went in and picked up the ducks put them into a crate and brought them home. If you use a net it will have to be a large one. I'd just grab her by the neck and hold on. Then get hold of her so her wings are laying flat against her body. This is how I pick up my goose if I need to. Like the other poster said if you get a towel over her head or even a pillow case until you get her in the crate it will keep her calmer.

Hi everyone! I’m back with a Ducky update….

I spent weeks chasing off potential nesting pairs who were picking on Ducky. Not all did chase her, but I didn’t take any chances. I called in for dog-walkers to go around the pond just to let the geese know it wasn’t always peaceful and calm, and I would irritate them periodically throughout the day. We had a few close calls when one pair seemed to choose the pond and spent 2 days defending it from others. Ducky stayed as far away from them as she could but still didn’t escape the occasional dunking, and once she was run way up away from the pond. On the 3rd day, the gander tried to chase away another pair that had just flown in, but he lost that battle, and they were chased off. Luckily, the winning pair had no intention of staying.

I had the large dog crate ready, but I just couldn’t seem to make a firm decision. I kept waffling. I asked the Universe for a sign I was doing the right thing, reminding said Universe that it’d have to be “in my face” for me to see it. Well, that very day, a week ago yesterday, a dog-walking friend found a dead (killed) heron right on the side of the pond. It could’ve easily have been Ducky! That sealed it. Moving her was the right decision.

Then the next day Ducky had a suitor! He hung around from Tuesday to Friday morning. She had the most wonderful, peaceful few days of normalcy, company, and security. However, like others before him, he wouldn’t stay….

Friday morning started off with a group of 5 geese flying in, one was an unattached female. I’d run down to the pond with slingshot in order to help defend the pond if need be and watched the dynamic change right in front of me. He went from Ducky’s side to that other goose’s side in no time. Ducky tried to get in the middle, but she was pecked and chased away. Chased out of the pond. And, to top if off, for the first time, a pond maintenance crew showed up to clean up the edge of the pond. It just went from bad to worse for poor Ducky. I texted several neighbor friends who showed up….just in case we could do something.

I didn’t really have a plan. I certainly didn’t get up that morning with the intent of catching Ducky. Heck, *I* personally never wanted to catch her—that was going to be my husband’s job…sometime (he was at work that day, however). If it failed, I wanted her to still be able to trust me, you know?

Ducky ended up back in the water, and 2 of my helpers needed to leave, but remained “on call”. Just as they left, one of the pond crew came up to me after figuring out what we were trying to do and said he could help—he had a kayak in his truck. I instantly texted them to come back…..

Long story, short: the guy chased Ducky through the water and up onto land. The others were to the side and behind her and made sure she went straight up from the pond. I was it. I angled over to her, but the others said it looked like she ran to me. I don’t know—it happened so fast, and I truly had NO plan, NO desire to be the one, but there I was. I had a sheet in my hand, still mostly folded up. I felt like a spectator still, but guided by an unseen force. I stepped in front of her, dropped the sheet on her and went down to the ground, with my hand around her neck. I could feel her trembling because she was so scared and utterly exhausted from her efforts, first to get out of the water then to run uphill out of the pond. I’m sure I was crying. I stroked her back and told her how sorry I was for all this but how much I loved her and someday she’d be glad this had happened.

One of the helping couples drove over to the other side, to my house, and got the carrier and brought it back. We got Ducky into it then I ran across to the other side to get my SUV to put her in. On my way, I quickly texted “I captured Ducky” to my best friend who lived nearby. She knew what that meant and instantly cancelled her day’s plans, got dressed, made us sandwiches, and was ready to go when I was for our 3-hour journey to the sanctuary. I still had to feed my kitties and put on some “real” clothes—I’d only been up a few minutes when those geese arrived and I ran out to check on things.

Anyway, Ducky made the trip like a real champ. She stood the whole way, honked only once, thrashed about twice—and somehow managed to scrape and bloody her bill a little bit. An update on her a day later said she was doing well. I hate to bother them too much, but I can’t wait for another update when they let her out to roam the facility and hit the big pond. It looked like a wonderful place with peaceful birds everywhere. There were wild geese with no infirmities just hanging around the buildings….a beautiful buff-colored turkey courting a couple of hens…several peacocks strutting about, ducks sleeping just anywhere—I almost tripped over one. My friend remarked that it had a vibe of contentment there. I felt like I was leaving my child at a permanent summer camp. I’m gonna miss the heck out of that goose….

It’s been awfully quiet on our pond, and it feels lonely. Wouldn’t you know that Ducky’s potential suitor returned the next morning, though, and stayed several hours, waiting for her….. He turned up the next day with a female, but he didn’t stay too long.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

Boy you sure do and your helpers too. Not many would go to all that to make sure a goose was safe and out of harm.

Bless you for caring so much about Ducky Makes my heart feel good. :hugs

Please continue with updates as you get them. This is a new beginning for Ducky and we want to hear about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom