A mutation! Stripes in a black bird

MokiYoki

Songster
8 Years
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
1PlAq6G.jpg

Screenshot_20190617-001845__01.jpg
The feathers sorta look like this and they are only on it's chest. Its mother is a blue mottled belgian d'uccle, and its father is a black silkie. There are also 4 others out of the same mother/father who dont have anything like this.
Besides that the father has also been crossed to another black mottled belgian d'uccle and out of 17 of them none have anything more that one or two mottled feathers.

Has anyone else seen this or is it likely a mutation? Im assuming its a mutation of the mottling gene so Im going to keep it in the flock and see if it will pass the variation to its own chick.

Solid black everywhere else:
HAozGrr.jpg

The mother:
cHroIvr.jpg

The father:
nAx9w5V.jpg

Last edited:
@The Moonshiner
It looks like either incomplete mottling or wildtype leakage.
Well yes it is incomplete mottling. Its just a strange expression of it that ive never seen or heard of before. Not to mention all 21 of its brothers and sisters who also carry mottling have nothing but ordinary mottle leakage.

Well yes it is incomplete mottling. Its just a strange expression of it that ive never seen or heard of before. Not to mention all 21 of its brothers and sisters who also carry mottling have nothing but ordinary mottle leakage.
Mottling needs two genes to really be expressed. More likely, this is wildtype leakage.

Mottling needs two genes to really be expressed. More likely, this is wildtype leakage.
This is mottling leakage as we said. Chickens dont hide mottles perfectly every time. These were hatched as nearly or actually solid black chicks.
No sorry its not wildtype leakage. There are no leaky blacks in Stripe's known heritage. The rooster is solid black from a black, blue, splash pen and the breeder I got him from is very good. No leakage of any sort. His mother is from a breeder that only keeps black, blue and lavender belgian d'uccle. No millefluer or anything like it to muddy the colours. And like I said out of the 30 chicks and all the parents I dont have a single marking that isnt mottles. Also it would be very strange to have a leakage all over the chest but no leakage on the hackles.
So its mottling its just very unusual expression which I assume is a mutation. Stripes only has 4 full blood siblings so I have yet to see if its a mutation already present in Willma which is stripe's mother.

Last edited:
No sorry its not. There are no leaky blacks in Stripe's known heritage. The rooster is solid black from a black, blue, splash pen and the breeder I got him from is very good. No leakage of any sort. His mother is from a breeder that only keeps black, blue and lavender belgian d'uccle. No millefluer or anything like it to muddy the colours. And like I said out of the 30 chicks and all the parents I dont have a single marking that isnt mottles. Also it would be very strange to have a leakage all over the chest but no leakage on the hackles.
So its mottling its just very unusual expression which I assume is a mutation. Stripes only has 4 full blood siblings so I have yet to see if its a mutation already present in Willma which is stripe's mother.

Black, blue and splash hide literally everything. Anything can be underneath them. If you've read up on mottling, you would realize that mottling is a recessive gene that needs two copies to be expressed.

I breed and raise d'Uccles. I know their genetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black, blue and splash hide literally everything. Anything can be underneath them. If you've read up on mottling, you would realize that mottling is a recessive gene that needs two copies to be expressed.

I breed and raise d'Uccles. I know their genetics.

And I study all genetics. Not just d'Uccle's. Im confident because there is no leakage in either side of the family. Nothing there to let the ground colour leak through. Also even if it was what would the odds be? 100% white leakage would have to mean silver and to have a white breast it would have to be a Partridge or wheaten hen with silver and ar/ar which is unlikely considering d'uccle are usually gold with Ar+/Ar+. Not to mention that ive hatched 29 others out of the same father and not a single one has anything like it. Im honestly not sure why you are so confident its ground colour leakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I study all genetics. Not just d'Uccle's. Im confident because there is no leakage in either side of the family. Nothing there to let the ground colour leak through. Also even if it was what would the odds be? 100% white leakage would have to mean silver and to have a white breast it would have to be a Partridge or wheaten hen with silver and ar/ar which is unlikely considering d'uccle are usually gold with Ar+/Ar+. Not to mention that ive hatched 29 others out of the same father and not a single one has anything like it. Im honestly not sure why you are so confident its ground colour leakage.
Because black is an epistatic gene. Anything can be under it.

Because black is an epistatic gene. Anything can be under it.
Under it maybe. But there is nothing to let anything leak out. Also to let colour leak on the breast only would be a mutation in itself. Do you have any evidence that colour leakage can look like this? Besides the stripes on the breast this chick is solid black there is no other white spots or stripes anywhere else.

Under it maybe. But there is nothing to let anything leak out. Also to let colour leak on the breast only would be a mutation in itself. Do you have any evidence that colour leakage can look like this? Besides the stripes on the breast this chick is solid black there is no other white spots or stripes anywhere else.
Anybody who's ever crossed a black Silkie will be able to prove that there are patterns hidden under the black. They are everywhere.

Yes, there's a member here who's been trying to create crele Orpingtons in an ineffective way. She crossed barred rocks over buff orpingtons and threw in some black australorp somewhere and got a pullet who had similar leakage, confined to the breast feathers.
It had been determined that it was the wildtype gene from the BO showing through.

Explain to me how breast color leakage is its own mutation. Have you seen the Wheaton gene?

Back
Top Bottom