I’ve always been under the impression that they CAN lay every 25-26 hours.

I have no two chickens of the same breed so I can tell most eggs apart. I sort of feel like each chicken has their own number. My Wyandotte, for example, is about 28-29 hours. For example, 6am one day, 10 the next, 2, 6. But when it gets to 10pm, it’s dark, so she waits until the next day. When there’s less light, she may only get two or three days in a row before a break. Most slow down significantly in the winter, but my leghorn still usually gets in 3 in a row and a break for 5-6 a week. My leghorn is pretty close to 25 hours or less in the summer and will go 10+ days before a day off.

No two chickens of the same breed is such a good idea to really get to the bottom of who lays what egg. Haha I had no idea when I got my chicks that I would be so obsessed with figuring out which eggs come from which chicken!

I have one hen that lays really small eggs, and one that lays extremely jumbo eggs and I’m of course assuming that my mini & huge eggs only come from certain hens. I wish I knew!
Now looking up if egg sizes change...

Thanks!

Most hens start of laying small eggs, that slowly get bigger over time. Are you getting any double-eggs, cause when mine started laying I got some doubles.:)

... how does one do this? Hahaha

Squirt a drop or two of food coloring on the edge of their vent. Some of the color will transfer to the egg, as it is laid. Seriously! People really do this! :D :lol:

Although I haven't actually tried it. I was going to try it once, because of one hen in particular I wanted to hatch some of her offspring, so I was desperately trying to figure out which eggs were hers. I finally separated her until she showed me her egg. :D

I have 4 hens that are 5 months old and 3 of the 4 have started laying for about a month now. I keep watching the 4th wondering when she'll start laying. Is it possible that some never do?

I have 4 hens that are 5 months old and 3 of the 4 have started laying for about a month now. I keep watching the 4th wondering when she'll start laying. Is it possible that some never do?
5 months old are pullets***, and may be early yet to think the 4th is not laying at all or never will.
Here's how you can check to see....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

***FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

I've never had 100% lay every day. I only have barred rocks. I think 1 time I 'be had 11 eggs from 11 hens.

Back
Top Bottom