A new Serama-sized game bantam

My sense is that the hybridization has been going on for a long time in all feral populations in the U.S. The ancestrial genes must be really strong because they keep showing up despite all the pressure. Modern geneticists tend to discount the concept of throw-backs and atavism. But, it's difficult to ignore what you see with your own eyes.
I have another possible explanation for why the wild-type genes keep showing up: maybe they work better for feral chickens. If white chickens, or black chickens, or bigger chickens (etc) get eaten by predators, the only ones left to breed are the wild-type ones.

I have another possible explanation for why the wild-type genes keep showing up: maybe they work better for feral chickens. If white chickens, or black chickens, or bigger chickens (etc) get eaten by predators, the only ones left to breed are the wild-type ones.
There is a selection for the cryptic coloring of females and females seem to prefer more colorful males.

BD92A280-0DC9-4EB6-924F-64D919090D00.jpeg

E5BC95B0-A943-444C-B574-CD4619EB2219.jpeg

Two breeding groups of the teacup Crackers have been set up. The hens are mature but the stags are not. The hens are laying but I hesitate to set any of these eggs until the stags get older.

I want some to cuddle badly. Living through your posts about your game birds, will forever be my favorite class of breeds. One day maybe I'll be able to get some of the more gamier types :love
Funny you should say that, because I have an update.

The stag with the bigger comb has a good chance of being fertile.
B494390E-F446-4E42-A94E-7576CE73A169.jpeg

The 14 oz hen has been setting for a few days. Of 16 eggs, 7 were definitely developing and 2 were questionable but I left them. I’ll let her hatch the brood and see what happens.

@miss heny These little teacup Crackers ought to be gamey enough you can’t keep two mature roosters together. But in a small backyard flock, which is what I’m imagining this breed for, that shouldn’t be a problem.

That little hen bit me more viscously tonight than any other hen of mine ever has. She’s grab a beak full of skin and shake it hard like a dog.

932918E9-B2E9-4A06-8F46-D7328EE97DE1.jpeg
AA8A9FA8-B7B5-49D8-B6CA-107D3E796B5D.jpeg

Both micro hens have chicks now. I’ll now refer to them as black band and red band to tell them apart.

Black band is at least 2 years old and is an excellent mother. She is still roosting on the ground with them, which I consider a positive trait. Hens that rush coop or tree roosting when the chicks simply can’t make it is a pet peeve of mine. She lost one chick when I introduced her to the AGB coop. The other hens killed and ate it so I put her in her own small coop with the 7 bitties she has left. I did cull their father, the fat combed stag.

Red band came off the next with her 6 bitties today. Too early to tell anything about them.

Marek’s ripped through my flock last year and decimated many of my project birds. The micros were highly inbred and they all tanked but one hen.

I have the one hen in with a small pure Cracker. I am hoping they’re both resistant to the Marek’s and I can start a new flock of the micros.
IMG_8186.jpeg
IMG_8184.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom