A pip on day 18???

Pics

jdwilk

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Just took my diehard broody out for one last time and notice what looks like a pip? Isn’t this too early?? Eggs have been under her since the evening of the 16th.
this is my first hatch I am so nervous but I think I will leave her be now.

Attachments

• EAE3A77C-4E3E-404E-AD69-5DE948915B9C.jpeg
    EAE3A77C-4E3E-404E-AD69-5DE948915B9C.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 90
You are asking a lot of this first time chicken mom 😂😂😂! I had troubling candling this one it was so dark inside. I also have a couple marans eggs too. No clue... I might just have to wait and see. I am hoping for Something! Thought this would be a good experience for kiddos this summer. It has been stressful for me because she was not getting off her nest AT ALL!! I really appreciate your help and @OneHappyRooster. If I candle I will send a pic.
OMG @MGG @OneHappyRooster I took it out to candle and its cheeping so I promptly put it back!!!!

Have you candled it in a dark room? Look for an intermal pip. If there's an internal pip it may have externally pipped. If no internal pip, it's not an external pip. It can definitely still make it.
You are asking a lot of this first time chicken mom 😂😂😂! I had troubling candling this one it was so dark inside. I also have a couple marans eggs too. No clue... I might just have to wait and see. I am hoping for Something! Thought this would be a good experience for kiddos this summer. It has been stressful for me because she was not getting off her nest AT ALL!! I really appreciate your help and @OneHappyRooster. If I candle I will send a pic.

From the picture it looks like everything is going well to me.

My little ones usually do the single pip and then a couple hours before hatching they'll often break a little more shell (looks like multiple pips like yours). If your little one is anything like mine you'll likely have a baby hatched fairly soon! :)

I'd check back in a few hours like OneHappyRooster suggested. Babies can occasionally be positioned in a way that they can't turn to zip properly but I wouldn't be worried about that yet as everything looks like it is going as it should so far.

I've had chicks hatch as early as day 18 with no issues, sometimes they just like coming a little early. :lol:
Thanks for the encouragement. This has been a stressful few weeks because she is the sweetest chicken!! I will wait a few hours and take a peek tonight! It was chirping very loudly!!

I know what you mean about the stress... we hatched our own 5 weeks ago (first time in a very long time).
I don’t know if it helps put your mind at ease but ours were bantams and hatched a day and a half early. They hatched under our broody so I didn’t see the pips at all as we had stopped taking her out (we had to take her off the nest every day too). We just knew when they’d hatched, but we could hear them about 12-24 hours beforehand.
All the best for your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom