? about my light brahma Roo?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
Just wondering about my Honeycomb, he will be a year the first of Feb. and is smaller than all the other roos except my Cuckoo Maran Roo, He is the top roo in my flock, but he seems kinda puny for what i was expecting, how long does it take LF Brahmas to get there full size and weight? I love him, and wouldn't trade him for the world hes got a great personality and is super with the girls but is he going to get any bigger Im guessing he only weights around 6/7 lbs. I heard they were late bloomers but about how much more growing time does he got? before i can call him full grown? Thanks in Advance, Sandy

Finished adult size is mostly determined by genetics, feed, care, condition, and space while growing up. By one year of age a brahma cockerel, unless he is out of massive show lines, should be about his finished height. He may fill out a bit, broaden some. If he still looks like he's mostly legs and neck, he may have considerable growing to do. The fact that you say he is the top roo in your flock makes me think he is about as big as he will get. Is he crowing? The big boys tend to be slower to mature and ussually get out ranked by smaller faster maturing breeds, untill they reach their full size and maturity.

Ours take about 2 years to finish out. And they go through a very long ugly stage when they look gangly and look horrible. But they still look better than any Langshan eh Ropo!

Only the Buffs! Just you wait! Buff Langshans will whoop any Brahma!
wink.png

You're just jealous of my turkey birds!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you, and yes honeycomb is from a hatchery, I got 5 boys and a little pullet,(warmer chicks they called them ) he was the runt of the bunch slowest to feather and always the underdog, so he got alot of one on one attention, got out and got to play on the floor that type of thing, he also was the first to crow at 9 weeks the others didn't crow till much later on. He was also the first to start breeding with the pullets, So slow in some ways and quicker in others, He does look a little gangly like he may still get a little larger, He looks heavier than he actually feels so I hope he fills out some more. He seems healthy, and all the girls like him even if he a string bean, LOL. His feathers look great , and that type of thing he eats the same food as the girls layer feed, should he be on a meatbird diet or something to help him fill out? anyother tips to help him be all he can be??

Thanks to everyone for you replies!

My hatchery brahma roo finally finished growing around 18 months and he's huge. Everyone calls him the turkey.

xmaspics009.jpg

xmaspics008.jpg

Quote:
The only reason your birds are called turkeys because they're so dam ugly.
wink.png
Ain't nothing pretty bout em
tongue.png
only thing they're good for is meat and they are barely any good for that.

Quote:
The only reason your birds are called turkeys because they're so dam ugly.
wink.png
Ain't nothing pretty bout em
tongue.png
only thing they're good for is meat and they are barely any good for that.

gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom