Bokbokbokbogark

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2019
Hello, I live in Western Australia and I have two hens and one hatched a single egg. When it was hatched I noticed it wasn’t breathing so was able to resuscitate it and bring it back to life. It grew to about 3 months old and I suspected it was a rooster so I had to rehome it as I was moving house into a suburb where I could not get away with a rooster. I was sure I heard him trying to crow early one morning but now I have a really bad feeling it wasn’t him I heard and rather a weird bird in the area as I heard it again this morning but he isn’t here! It could have been a hen all along.

A man came to collect the baby and I just had the worst feeling, I was riddled with anxiety after he left and I felt SO bad about rehoming it and pulling it away from its mother at a young age. I cried so much and called the man and said how upset I was and to please look after it. He sent me photos and it looked okay. I said I would even pay to get it back if it didn’t work out and made him promise he wouldn’t kill it.

A week has passed and I then contacted him today and asked how the chick was settling in and he told me a fox had broken in and killed all his chickens, he didn’t find baby chicks body.

I am absolutely heartbroken and mortified I had a really bad feeling and I was right.

I feel like I did such a horrible thing rehoming the chick, I literally revived it then pulled it away from its mother and sent it off to be murdered I don’t know how I will ever recover from this. :,(

I also feel like it’s mother who I still have now could be depressed? She’s eating as normal but who knows how she is feeling.

That poor sweet baby I feel like an absolute monster!

Hello, I live in Western Australia and I have two hens and one hatched a single egg. When it was hatched I noticed it wasn’t breathing so was able to resuscitate it and bring it back to life. It grew to about 3 months old and I suspected it was a rooster so I had to rehome it as I was moving house into a suburb where I could not get away with a rooster. I was sure I heard him trying to crow early one morning but now I have a really bad feeling it wasn’t him I heard and rather a weird bird in the area as I heard it again this morning but he isn’t here! It could have been a hen all along.

A man came to collect the baby and I just had the worst feeling, I was riddled with anxiety after he left and I felt SO bad about rehoming it and pulling it away from its mother at a young age. I cried so much and called the man and said how upset I was and to please look after it. He sent me photos and it looked okay. I said I would even pay to get it back if it didn’t work out and made him promise he wouldn’t kill it.

A week has passed and I then contacted him today and asked how the chick was settling in and he told me a fox had broken in and killed all his chickens, he didn’t find baby chicks body.

I am absolutely heartbroken and mortified I had a really bad feeling and I was right.

I feel like I did such a horrible thing rehoming the chick, I literally revived it then pulled it away from its mother and sent it off to be murdered I don’t know how I will ever recover from this. :,(

I also feel like it’s mother who I still have now could be depressed? She’s eating as normal but who knows how she is feeling.

That poor sweet baby I feel like an absolute monster!
:hugs Noo you're not a monster! I'm so sorry this happened! You are a very compassionate person trying to do the right thing and what happened was completely out of your control.
Give yourself time to grieve but please try not to blame yourself. And the mother chicken will be fine especially if she isn't alone. You aren't alone here either, most everyone here has had things happen whether our fault or not we feel terrible. Take care!

:welcome :frow I feel your pain. A few months ago I lost a very special bird to a fox. She was 3 years old. She was a cross beak and needed special care. She had her own coop and pen. I would let her out every day but she never wandered off. She would make her rounds to visit the other birds. One day I didn't pay attention and when I called her she didn't come which was unusual. She liked to be held and always stayed around us. While I was preoccupied a fox snuck in and grabbed her. I searched for her but all I found was feathers. I cried and cried and still blame myself for not putting her in her pen while I was preoccupied and she would probably be here today. I really miss my Gladys. I never had a bird like her and never will. Good luck and have fun with your others...

I did catch the fox. It was making a habit of coming around during the day. Most hunt here at night.
DSCF0012 20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom