We Quit Cigarettes

I am going to really have to try hard to stay focused because I do keep thinking that one drag won't hurt.
And yes I know this sounds retarded and is just dumb but it's real. It would be so much easier just going to buy a pack. Today might be a tough day.

I have to win!
You can! The first week or so is the hardest. After that, just keep reminding yourself that you REALLY don't want to start counting all over again.
A couple of years after I first quit, I nearly fell off the proverbial wagon (if that applies to smoking) when my Dad was really sick. I convinced myself that he would recover, and that when he did, he would never let me forget the relapse. Luckily, I was right on both counts!
Many, many years later, I nearly started again when my then-husband chain smoked. What stopped me then was the thought of having to replace the word "years smoke-free" with a new count - "days smoke-free." It sounds funny, now, but that simple, "silly" thought gave me what I needed to stay strong.
Look forward to that day. It'll feel awesome!

Yes! The act of counting though makes it particularly helpful for anxiety because it forces you to just concentrate on the breathing exercise and not think about other stuff so much.
I practice the 'whole mind starts to wonder bring it back to the breath' stuff too.
It's ridiculous but oh so effective.

I wish I would have become a believer in it years ago.

I agree. Some of the trappings can be silly but there is a lot of good stuff too.
Remember when I would get the giggles when I was going to that yoga class?

I'm ready to go back with a straight face.

From my understanding, it seems like they are super specialized in certain areas, whereas therapists are usually covering a broader scope. Was that your experience?
The therapists to me acted more like a life coach. Reminded me of a school guidance counselor. They were more of advice givers and I felt like they didn't solve anything.

The psychiatrist was down to the nitty gritty and could get more into my head. There was a lot more they could do and diagnose you will a mental disorder. A therapist can't do that because they're not a doctor. A psychiatrist has more access in the medical field and they know way better techniques that can help you. I felt like they were more direct.

Yoga helps me..... just saying. Why do just the breathing part?
I know I sound like a trendy little nerd, but the breathing and body movement combine to give a great overall cleansing kind of thing. I can't really explain it properly...sorry...
Each breath has a movement. I agree. I love yoga. It's just hard to do while driving.

Back
Top Bottom