Adopted by a single Guinea - Need Advise

Ok first — it’s not a guinea chicken, it’s either a Guinea Hen (female makes a two syllable buckwheat sounding call) or a Guinea Cock (males make a three syllable very shrill call)

Second - it did probably lose its flock one way or another, they are miserable alone, should not be raised with chickens because of their breeding practices, they can get very aggressive and rough with chickens, even mine that WERE NOT raised with chickens still like to sneak up on my chickens and pull a feather. They’re kind of jerks. They prefer flocks of 10 or more to be happy.

Third - dear god don’t open a window. I could NOT imagine having one of my Guineas in my house. They’d break everything, freak the everything you kNow what out. Best to build a cage, lure it with treats (meal worms, white millet, something it likes, may take trial and error) - the one thing you’re right about is being easier to handle at night, they’re completely blind, so if you got it in a contained area, theoretically you might be able to grab it, watch the beak and toenails, they’re sharp as knives.

If you do manage to catch it, please find someone with a flock to regime it - but honestly, if it’s being left in the elements and doesn’t have shelter, don’t expect it to last long.

@R2elk... care to add if I missed anything?
:goodpost:
Auto correct, I would rehome it rather than regime it.

If you know there are ppl around w/chickens, ask around- I bet someone's missing a guinea, or as you get closer, will know who has them.
@Unicornlife3316 - what is this "males make a three syllable very shrill call" you speak of? Have only ever heard that males saychee-1 syllable. Am curious bc I have one that I have been unable to identify because it still chirps & tweets like a keet at 4 months. But today noted a "bar-ee-ee" noise that made me do a double take (are you REALLY a guinea?) It's still higher pitched than the others

If you know there are ppl around w/chickens, ask around- I bet someone's missing a guinea, or as you get closer, will know who has them.
@Unicornlife3316 - what is this "males make a three syllable very shrill call" you speak of? Have only ever heard that males saychee-1 syllable. Am curious bc I have one that I have been unable to identify because it still chirps & tweets like a keet at 4 months. But today noted a "bar-ee-ee" noise that made me do a double take (are you REALLY a guinea?) It's still higher pitched than the others

Watch this YouTube video for the male calls -

Right at about 1 minute, the close up, the male does what I call the three syllable call, it’s very fast, not like the rest of the video.
The female can make that very shrill call too, but the males can’t make the two syllable buckwheat sound.

One misconception about guineas is that they are loud ALL the time. That's wrong. My guineas talk to each other a lot thru the day, usually a soft chatter. But they are only loud at times; A female during breeding season, all guineas when they see something new or alarming to them, or when they are separated from the flock and trying to call for their 'family'. And they are nearly always quiet at night unless something is bothering them. ;)

One misconception about guineas is that they are loud ALL the time. That's wrong. My guineas talk to each other a lot thru the day, usually a soft chatter. But they are only loud at times; A female during breeding season, all guineas when they see something new or alarming to them, or when they are separated from the flock and trying to call for their 'family'. And they are nearly always quiet at night unless something is bothering them. ;)
Visitors here often comment on how quiet my guineas are.

Hello - I did not have chickens - I just got adopted by a single Guinea, I live just outside of town on a rectangle 3 acres - deep lot. About 2 weeks ago a Guinea chicken showed up. Running around franticly all over screaming and sometimes in circles. Up and down the street to the neighbors houses. Got on my roof and screeching from there. Kind of remind of a peacock. Every time I went outside that poor thing went crazy.

Well now the Guinea has settled down and mostly stays in my yard. I have a brick house with tall windows - sometimes it purchase in a window to sleep. Never any damage, so I don't chase it off. I have 4 cats, indoor cats but they have a large cage outside on the patio with shelves. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to cokes the Guinea in there for shelter? I have left the door open and placed some feed in there. It is starting to get used to seeing me. I want the Guinea to survive and do what I can for it. I have made sure there is water out there and some chicken food if it wants.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can not just pretend I do not know it is there and winter is coming on fast!

Thank you

Debra

I caught Guinea today!!! Did what Patricia Comer suggested. Took days but Guinea is now save in the cat cage. I placed wind screens on the sides of the cage and added poles for roosting, a light, water and food, Plus a Mirror.

For days Guinea would come hang out and the door on the patio. Go in the cage and eat but not far in the cage. Now the real trick was so Guinea did not see me, you can see thought the screen.

According to the weather today is going to be the last good day for a while. Guinea went in the cage and was hanging out, would sit a little and such. Well I went out bear footed and crawled on the ground keeping lower than the patio. I had to because I tried one time before standing up and Guinea saw me and ran. I slowly worked my way to the patio from the corner of the house, felt like a cat kind of, I slowly made my way to the patio steps. Crawled up the steps, at that time my husband was coming up the farm lane and could see me, he said I looked crazy. I hugged the patio with a really low profile sneaking up to the door and pushed it shut...... I had screen on the door so Guinea could not see me coming that easily. Guinea ran all the way in the cage then, it is 4 by 8 feet.

I opened the bottom of the doors screen so Guinea can see out as it has been doing and left. I figured enough for now, let Guinea get settled. I will come visit later. But the whole thing was not as stressful on Guinea and me to catch Guinea this way. I now have to worry about the upcoming weather and getting some better sides on the cage. But I do not have to worry about Guinea getting eaten and not having shelter. I am so happy.

I will start checking with the farmers around us and see if any have Guinea's so I can find Guinea a life long home.

Ah, I see. I do hear them do that, I just thought they were going faster. Nugget has always been my little weirdo. Everyone started making their defined sounds but Nugget continued w/cheeps & trills. Then the Bar-ee-ee started yesterday-still kind of a trill. So his/her sexual identity still remains a mystery.
I was looking at this page today - on the side in tiny print are sounds for different occasions- alarm, calling, "conversing" and ..demanding food, i think it was. It does seem to fit w/mine's behavior. http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/helmeted-guineafowl

When they're "conversing" among themselves, it's quiet. When they want me to do something it get's pretty loud.
And whoever thought of the flapping towel is a genius! Mine discovered the front porch, and I scrubbed it down yesterday. Today i set a big gray towel by the door so every time they hopped up there they must've thought a huge hawk came flying out the door! They were pretty loud then, but eventually started walking PAST the porch rather than on it and stood having long conversations w/my truck.

whoever thought of the flapping towel is a genius!
@PeepsCA would run screaming and waving a towel when she wanted to discourage them from going certain places. It did not take her many repetitions to convince her guineas that they did not want to go those places.

Back
Top Bottom